Chapter 14

Hurt your heart in the worst way
Never should have let you fall in the first place

But you've fallen, put your all in
Now you're so high off love you don't wanna get down  

-Infidelity by Trey Songz

*****

LIAM

The day dragged on without talking to Delilah and knowing that I needed to confront Carissa. She was busy at work and I was busy at the shop. I knew Delilah would pick up Adrian today, that was the perfect opportunity to talk to Carissa. Delilah was nervous though, just like when we found out we were pregnant. I could see her insecurity. She thought I was going to choose Carissa. At this point, I wasn't sure if Delilah and I would pursue something together, but I knew that I couldn't keep lying to Carissa.

I'd never cheated on anyone. The thought never crossed my mind until Delilah came back. I was never one of the guys to fuck around much. Sure, I had one night stands but if I was in a relationship I was with that person and that person only, again, until Delilah. 

Yet with Delilah, I never felt the need to be with someone else. It was always her. 

Did she deserve that type of loyalty? Probably not. But there I was. 

And I could see how hard she was trying now. She had her life together as much as she could and she was starting to act like the woman I always knew she could be.

So, what do you do in a situation like this? Turn your back on the woman that has stuck by your side for years? Or go back to the woman you know you won't ever get out of your fucking head, no matter what she does?

There's no simple answer. 

I knocked on the door to Carissa's home. I had a key but I had the feeling I'd be giving it back pretty soon.

She opened with a smile. We hadn't seen each other in a couple of days and these were definitely not the circumstances that I wanted to see her with. Her arms wrapped around my neck and she kissed me. 

I couldn't kiss her back.

"I've been waiting for you," she said, taking my hand and leading me into the living room. "How have you been? You've been busy haven't you?"

"A bit," I said, forcing a smile. 

I sat down on the sofa and she didn't hesitate to straddle me. I placed my hands on her waist while she nestled her head in my neck.

"I've missed you," she whispered. 

Fucking hell.

She began kissing my neck and her hands went down to my jeans. I took her hands in mine, stopping her.

"Hold on, Carr. I need to talk to you."

"We can talk later?" She murmured, this time kissing me. 

"Wait... No!" I said, stopping her once again, this time more abrupt than the other. "Dammit, Carissa. I'm serious, we need to talk."

She frowned when I pushed her away and stood up. Fessing up about something like this was harder than I thought.

"What's going on, Liam?"

"It's about Delilah."

"...Delilah?"

I nodded. Her expression visibly changed from one of love to anger to pain. Carissa was usually a happy, calm woman but in that particular moment, her signature smile disappeared. Her arms crossed over her chest as she sat back down, glaring at me.