Chapter 65

I'm a house of cards in a hurricane

A reckless ride in the pouring rain

She cuts me and the pain is all I wanna feel

She tears away just like a child

She drives me crazy, drives me wild

But I'm helpless when she smiles

-Helpless When She Smiles by Backstreet Boys

LIAM

The past two weeks Delilah made great improvement. She smiled more, was less tense and interacted more with the kids. It had been difficult to see her shy away from everyone, become a recluse in our own home. But as every day passed, I saw the old Delilah slowly reappearing.

I stood by the doorway and watched her change Aiden's diaper with the help of Adrian who was holding out the wipes. Except, when she was in the process of placing the clean diaper under our baby, a stream of urine shot up making Delilah shriek and Adrian to run back towards me, leaving his mom at the mercy of Aiden's aim.

From where I stood I could see Delilah much too shocked to move, and an amused smile playing on Aiden's lips until he broke into those baby giggles that always made Delilah laugh.

"How come he never does this to you?" Delilah said with a smile. "He always does this to me."

"He's messing with his momma," I said with a chuckle. She stepped back with a small pout and I gestured towards the door so she could change her urinated clothes. Delilah rolled her eyes and made her way to our bedroom to probably shower and then change.

"You shouldn't do that to mom, Aiden," the big brother said handing me a wipe. Then with a whisper he added, "It is funny, though."

"Don't let mom hear you say that," I said, still amused.

I carried Aiden over to the living room where Delilah's parents waited for us along with Jo and Chris. Chris was completely smitten with Jo, and set his hand over her growing belly. They were expecting their first child, and both were sure it was a girl.

When a few minutes passed and Delilah still hadn't come out of the bedroom, I decided to check up on her only to stop in my tracks. She stood in front of a mirror, smoothing out the blouse she wore, her hair in curls that fell over her shoulders. Delilah looked happy; the happiest I'd seen her in a while. I wrapped my arms around her and pressed a kiss to her head, watching how a smile illuminated her face. She felt right in my arms. 

"Do you still want to marry me, Liam?" she asked, genuine curiosity in her question.

"Of course I do," I murmured.