FIVE

"What don't I know about losing touch with Rhys?"

There's a tense silence and I shift in the passenger seat, glancing at the building where Taylor is looking at an apartment. All-day we've been going between apartments and workplaces to hand out resumes. Anything to help her.

Since this place has a high success rate, it's going to take longer. Hence why I called my dad so I can soothe the itch that's been bugging me all day.

"I did it for your own sake, not that it matters now."

"What did you do?" I press, heart racing as I wait for an answer. "Dad, I ran into Rhys and blew up at him over it. What don't I know?"

He exhales a breath. "I told him the day we left that he wasn't to contact you until you completed your education, if he still felt the same he was free to try. . . someone had told me about his past - how he was involved in the same business as his father. I believe you lied to me about that as well."

"What? Who told you that?"

I close my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose as a lecture is coming on. But more importantly I'm pissed off that someone broke my trust by ratting out Rhys and his past.

"You should have told me that he was the reason you were hospitalized and I would have made sure that we left sooner," his tone turns sharper as he defends himself. "I warned him that if he didn't cut himself off I would go to the police because I received photos from his dodgy crimes. You needed a fresh start, away from the tragedy of everything and he was a reminder of it."

"You had no right - I needed him when everything with Miles went down."

"If he loved you he would have been there regardless of my warning. Even though I changed his number to a google cell he still had yours," he deadpans which feels like a knife to the chest. "But he didn't. He let you go and just because you know this it shouldn't change anything. He chose himself over you."

I try to talk but no words come out. My father is a lot of things but I never would have suspected this from him. He blackmailed, lied, and manipulated me for a year that I had no clue about. But he was right, Rhys could have contacted me if he really wanted to.

He must have known about the Miles incident but I got nothing.

"I need to go now."

"I did this to protect you and-"

"You say this was to prevent any more tragedy from happening but losing Rhys nearly killed me," I snap, wiping away the pathetic tears of heartbreak and anger. "I spent months worrying and convincing myself I wasn't good enough for him. But I guess I can thank you for that, goodbye."

I hang up before he can yell at me and I grind my jaw. I should have known something wasn't right - Rhys wouldn't have left me isolated like that. I'm so conflicted and my head is swelling from thoughts.