TWENTY

"This view is gorgeous

"This view is gorgeous."

Leaning against the window ledge I peer down at the water sparkling in the sunlight. The hotel itself is very similar to the one I stayed in with Derek. Its theme being white and gold, except it has more elegance to it. Plus it doesn't look as harsh.

I can hear water running from the bathroom and a hum in response. On the drive here Rhys stopped at a gas station and bought us icee's along with a bag of skittles considering I already consumed the ones I bought half an hour into the trip. Although he bought them, he tried to steal one - green of course - and I may have bitten his hand.

It was meant to be playful but it ends up spilling some of his icee all over himself. For the last twenty minutes he had to drive with blueberry flavouring sticking to his shirt and the chunks of ice melting on his lap. I probably shouldn't have laughed because he's been ignoring me ever since.

The water turns off and I force myself not to turn around when he walks out. In the glass I can tell he's shirtless and walking towards his bag that's on the bed. Quickly I divert my eyes back to the water when his turn my way.

"It's a nice place here," Rhys finally speaks and I hum back, spotting a couple that stick out as tourists taking photos on a selfie stick. Down below there's an outdoor section to the restaurant which extends to a raised deck where they're taking the photo. "My mom used to bring us here during summer break."

I pivot in the slightest to see him adjusting the bottom of his shirt. "Is that why you wanted to come here, tradition?"

"That and I wanted to show you around to see what you think."

"And my opinion matters?"

He tilts his head in the slightest for asking a stupid question. "It does . . . I want to know if you love this place as much as I do."

I blink several times as I process his words. There's a hint of vulnerability and I understand why that's the case. His mom brought him for summers, it's sentimental and something he cherishes. I'm glad he's sharing this with me.

"What do you want to show me?" I push away from the window and start towards him as he packs up his bag again.

"How are your hands?" He picks up his wallet, taking the room card as well.

I glance down at them and sigh. "Honestly?"

"No, I want you to lie to me."

"They're a little sore," I ignored his sarcasm and look back up, keeping the fact I can't put any pressure on them to myself. "Why?"

Rhys looks at my glove covered hands. "I wanted to take you rock climbing tomorrow before we left but I had to book today - that's all."

"Rock climbing?" He hums and holds out his hand.