TWO

"Since when have you been incapable of answering a phone call?"

On the other line, I hear the sound of traffic with a train in the background. A snort follows it before she responds. "Something tells me this has to do with Taylor's spam of calls yesterday - like I told her, I was working the graveyard shift which was more of a punishment from my advisor, that stupid hag hates me."

"Well did Taylor also drop a bombshell on you?"

I fiddle with the packet of snakes resting in my lap trying to fish a green one out from it. "I know that her god awful, stuck-up, rich, pessimistic and dark aged parents kicked her out but I have a feeling there's something else for you to be calling me."

"I'm actually here to help Taylor settle in kind of," I explain, handing over the packet to Derek who takes the first one quickly while driving. He stuffs it in his mouth and I drop the bag back on my lap. "So is Derek which is why I'm calling you as a warning."

There's silence on the other line and I hear Derek snort, "Way to soften the blow."

"I still can't believe you're friends with Derek," she mumbled and exhales. "I get that he redeemed himself and that he was a familiar face but it's still weird. I'm your best friend not him, as long as you remember that."

"Yes I'm well aware that I'm your best friend."

"Someone's jealous," Derek snickers and pulls into a parking lot. "We're here now so wrap it up."

"Just be careful around him. When he's back in town his family has sway over his actions - I know that better than anyone else."

I hum rather than give a verbal answer. "I'll keep that in mind. . . good luck with your placement, text me later."

Hanging up on Blair I look up only to see Derek abruptly cut off another driver who blares the horn to get a park closest to the entrance. I readjust the seat belt that dug into me from the sudden swing in the car before reaching down for my handbag.

"Blair still doesn't trust me."

"You kind of lost it with the whole vendetta you had against Rhys and I. Which by the way, I only actually forgave you this year for," I deadpanned, unbuckling as he gives a stiff nod. "I don't need to remind you of what you've done to us and Blair doesn't forgive easily - even if you were her first love."

"I'm still really sorry for what I put you through - I didn't think anyone would actually go that far and it was too late to stop it even though I tried. Dominic was the only one who didn't take my warning."

Inhaling at the mention of that name I drop my gaze from his. "That's the thing, jokes aren't always so friendly and you learned that lesson along with everyone involved. Can we drop it now? I don't need Taylor to see me in tears."

"Alright love, let's go get some good and deal with the imbeciles that are her birth givers."

I snort, sitting in the car for a moment when he gets out and closes the door. He rushes around to the other side and I beat him to open the door. One of his ridiculous rules we made at the new year was to show me he can be a gentleman and that he's trying to be one without his family influencing that.