THIRTY ONE

"So how did your date with Piper go?" I ask, hands clutching the ceramic mug for dear life

Taylor continues to stir her coffee around with a teaspoon, eyeing me skeptically. I can tell she knows somethings up with me because I can barely sit still. That's what happens when you shoot someone.

"Why don't we talk about why you're so jumpy?"

"I'm not jumpy."

She tosses the silver spoon into the sink and I impulsively twitch my fingers. Raising an eyebrow she leans on the counter, taking a sip as if waiting for me to explain. When I remain tight lipped she exhales and places her mug down.

"It went really well. She's adorably sexy and so smart," Taylor hesitates each word as if they're a shock to her. "She wants to take me out again."

"And that's a bad thing?"

Taylor bites her lip. "My father stopped by when she was here asking me out again. His head almost exploded when she kissed my cheek before leaving."

"Wait, he stopped by?"

"He got my information from the statement I gave and wanted to stop by to see me." She clenches her jaw.

"I take it didn't go well."

"Not really, no . . . he was fine for about five minutes then he asked if there was a chance I was confused or experimenting," Taylor meets my eye and I can tell she's furious over it. "He stormed out when I told him I'm perfectly fine without parents, especially if it means I can be happy as myself."

"Do you mean it though?" I question softly, she goes to speak but I cut her off. "If they can't accept this part of you, are you cutting them off completely?"

She narrows her eyes. "They might be my parents but for most of my life they've primped and pampered me to being a perfect doll. They took away choices, decisions and anything that would impact poorly on me. My sexuality isn't something they can take away from me."

"Okay, I get it. It's something they'll just have to accept whether they like it or not." I nod my head, agreeing with her thoughts. "Back to Piper, why are you so shocked she asked you on another date?"

She raises an eyebrow. "Because she's amazing. Not only is she artistic but she's smart - she got into Harvard for Law but turned it down to be closer to her family."

"Legal, huh? How did she end up becoming a tattoo artist?" I asked curiously.

"She wanted to become a lawyer because of her dad - who died at the start of high school - became one. But her mom encouraged her to do what she loved because while she was smart, she hates that part of her." Taylor gives a soft smile, obviously having a connection over similar feelings in high school.