FOUR

"Where exactly do you think you're going?" I glance in the mirror to see Derek leaning against the bathroom door frame

My eyes flicker back to an exhausted reflection and I exhale at the attempt to make myself look less like a zombie. Last night I didn't sleep well because every time I closed my eyes the nightmares clawed themselves inside again. I hadn't had a nightmare in a month which was progress.

They range in severity; one of my parents bleeding out, seeing Nate's hand broken on a loop, watching everyone get shot that I cared about, and occasionally Miles getting exactly what he wanted from me. It's scary but those are the events that have left scars on me.

I'm just thankful not to be having more visible reminders, like flinching or panic attacks.

"I'm going to meet up with Levi," I drop the eyeliner into the small bag holding limited makeup. "We need to talk and then I'm going to help Jamie babysit while we help Taylor with her resume - it needs updating apparently. Plus girl time and all."

"Girl time?"

Humming I zip the bag up and gather my PJs into a bundle. "No offense to you but I could do with having a girl to talk to who won't threaten anyone I rant about."

Giving Derek a deadpan look to argue with me he keeps his lips sealed as I head back into my room. He follows while I dump my things into the suitcase, gathering stuff that I need for the day. I locate the key card for the room and shove it inside my handbag with everything else.

"You understand why I didn't tell you about Rhys?"

"Because I would worry."

I pick up my shoes, pulling one boot on before the other. "You had just gotten off your medication when I found out about it. I didn't want you to backtrack on your progress."

"I understand you were trying to protect me but keep in mind Rhys did the exact same thing to me. He kept me in the dark so I wouldn't stress - I would rather know than have the explosion of not being trusted."

"So not being told the truth is worse than knowing how bad it is?" I nodded once and he puffs his cheeks with a nod. "Got it. I might not be back while you're gone either, I'm meeting up with Lachlan about yesterday."

I frown while walking to the door. "Why?"

"He called me . . . said he wanted to talk to me about you, on behalf of Rhys or some bullshit. I agreed because I think I know what it's about."

"What it's about?" I ask.

Derek opens the door for me and shakes his head. "Levi. Probably wants me to demand you break up with him because of his debt."

"I'm not breaking up with him - at least I don't think I am. It just depends on what happens."

"They might not be the ones to collect the debt from Levi," Derek answers, and I purse my lips. "They definitely won't be if my uncle finds out you're the blackmail to get the debt back. He knows they won't hurt you or that Levi would feel implied to cough up what he owes. So remember that today because-"