THIRTY NINE

"Should I even ask who's blood was spilled for this money?"

That god awful question amplifies the tension in the car. I close my eyes as the backseat creaks under my dad's weight. Beside me Rhys stops taping on the steering wheel and chuckles humorlessly.

"I do have another job."

"I bet it doesn't make as much as what you do harming people."

I opened my eyes again, staring ahead at an arriving bus. "Please just stop."

"I don't approve of him or his life choices-"

"And I've told you that you've made some just as bad," I snapped back, feeling emotionally drained from the negativity between the two of them. "Not everyone can make perfect decisions or morally correct ones - don't be a hypocrite."

If the tension was thick before it's almost suffocating. When Rhys and I got back to his apartment last night, dad immediately started firing off questions about why I was hospitalized. He blamed Rhys bluntly and even went as far as throwing the TV remote at his head.

Dad was pissed and if I hadn't stepped in to the path between them he would've thrown a punch. Since then the night was pretty much like walking on eggshells so neither of them sparked up again. Because Rhys fired back at him.

Not physically but he did bring up my dad's cheating which placed me right in the middle. Just like I am now and I hate being pulled in either direction. But I can't just step back - Rhys' temper would ruin any shot of my dad liking him again and I'd hate for my dad to get hurt for attempting something physical with him.

"You should be coming with me. "

"I can't," I respond softly, finally turning to look at him. He's clearly worried and hasn't been sleeping by the redness of his eyes - on top of the beating he took, he looks like hell. "I'm not allowed to leave because I'm still a person of interest."

"Maybe being locked up is safer than being vulnerable again . . . he can't protect you."

"Rhys doesn't need to," I snap, my emotions and lack of sleep making my tone sharper than normal. "I am capable of holding my own in a life or death situation - even if you don't want to hear that - so I'll do whatever necessary to live. But I can't stop anyone from coming after you."

"You shouldn't have to fight for your life-"

"She won't need to because in the next  few days everything will be over," Rhys cuts in and I slowly look at him. He's not acknowledging me but continues to stare ahead. "The threats will be gone from existence and I know that disgusts you - that I disgust you. But I'm not letting anything else hurt her even if it sends me to jail. They're all going to die."