THIRTY FOUR

Waking up to screaming is a horrifying experience

Waking up to screaming is a horrifying experience. I jerk up, frantically looking around except I can't see anything. My heart races and I slowly raise my hands, removing the fabric with a deep breathe.

"Ah, another one is awake."

I jolt away from the hand on my shoulder, only to feel a harsh pull on my ankle. Looking back I try to yank the metal chain linking me to a tree only for it to burn my hands. I kneel and focus back to the front.

"Hello Kira," Oscar stands in front of me, a gun loosely being held in his hand. "It's a good thing you woke up - you might actually stand a chance of living."

I look around him, the screams being silenced and I see a strange woman being gagged despite gasping for air. My eyes flicker down to her leg which is the biggest mistake of my life. A bone produces from her calf and the flesh is torn to pieces, like it's been hacked at with a blade.

"What the hell is happening." My throat is dry and I look back to Oscar for an answer.

"What needs to happen," I feel chills run down my spine at the unnerving voice. "You see, your boyfriend has been turning my guys against me one by one. They were refusing to work - made a protest about it being morally wrong and that I can't control them . . . this is a reminder that I do."

James passes me carrying a shovel that he slams into the center of the earth. My eyes drift back to the sobbing woman with a mauled leg, she's cuffed to a tree like me and tries to move away after noticing James. She knows who he is - which let's his words sink in.

Rhys turned people against James? It's smart, taking away his army but foolish if caught. Which is why I'm not the only one chained to a - wait, I wasn't alone. My ears ring when panic flares up and I frantically look around.

"Where is she?" I snapped, trying to get to my feet, using the bark for support while looking for a figure.

The sky is a murky grey, making the trees appear taller and haunting. My vision can barely make out any facial features, just bodies that surround the area. And I can only see one other chained two trees away.

"The smoking hot brunette?" I almost trip when Trey appears, dragging a wooden box behind him. "She's just hanging around."

Looking down at the wooden box I barely think twice before lunging for Trey. My arms squash his neck and I throttle him to the ground. I hear laughter when we crash to the ground, my ankle twists painfully in the chain but an elbow to the stomach has me yelping and hunching over.

"This is the problem with you foolish people. If you give a shit about someone it can be used against them," James chuckles, his feet crunching on discarded twigs and leaves. "But it's a good thing for me. I can use that weakness to make anyone my puppet, isn't that right Oscar?"