FORTY THREE

"Would you stop looking at me?" I bite the back of my thumb, dread and guilt making me want to empty my stomach into the trash can

Rhys doesn't move from the chair and seems intent on watching me have a melt down. His arm is draped over his stomach, occasionally clutching his shirt when pain hits and keeps his head still. My eyes linger on the rash along his arm and force myself to look away by moving to the door.

"Stop worrying."

"Stop breathing," I bite back with a scoff and peek out into the hallway, moving inside the room again when I see a doctor talking to the nurse who showed us to this room. "It's the same equivalent to me not worrying . . . I can't believe this happened."

"It's not your-"

"Rhys, what seems to be the problem?" The doctor walks in and looks to me with a smile, her eyes warm and friendly. "You must be Kira, nice to meet you dear."

I blink multiple times and look to Rhys for help only to witness his fist clench and face scrunch. Everything feels heavy and I'm aching to make him feel better. It's not often he's weak - or sick for that matter.

Forcing myself to look at the doctor I nod, "I'm sorry but I have no idea who you are."

The woman just smiles and reaches into the bottom pocket of her coat, extending a laminated card as she walks to the desk. I glance down at the card in my hand seeing a bright smile surrounded with dimples and sharp blue eyes framed by honey blonde hair. Caitlin Petrov.

"I used to live near your old house," I still, utterly confused and slowly step forward to place the card down. She notices my clueless expression but smiles tiredly. "I'm Lachlan's mother."

"You are?" I blurt without thinking, her smile slips slightly and I clear my throat. "Sorry, you just aren't what I expected."

Caitlin nods once, "My son is a lot like his father unfortunately but the good in him is all me. . . anyways, Rhys . . . you think you're having an allergic reaction?"

I step back to the wall and try to pinpoint similarities between Lachlan and his mother. Back in high school he had the same shade of blond hair and his eyes are identical - but that's just about where it ends. He really must take after his father which isn't a good thing.

"It's the same symptoms as when I was seventeen," He flickers his eyes to mine briefly but then to the doctor. "But I know not to use that kind of condom so it's not possible."

My eyes widen at the mention of a condom and know he's purposely not looking at me. Caitlin doesn't seem phased - you wouldn't want to be easily for a doctor - and slides on the chair after putting hand sanitizer on.

She carefully picks up his wrist and examines the rash, "Have you eaten anything new?"

"Sushi," I drop my head and bite my lip to avoid apologizing. She hums and moves back to the desk. "I've never eaten it before but I know I'm not allergic to chicken so it was either the wrap or avocado."