THIRTY THREE

Ducking I narrowly miss the fist flying at my head

Ducking I narrowly miss the fist flying at my head. I shift weight, arms shielding incase she turns it back on me. Jamie bounces on her toes still pent up with anger and frustration which is the sole reason we're here.

"You've got to be careful, my reflexes aren't as quick as yours." I remind her for the fourth time.

She nods and gets into a stance. "Sorry, I can go back to hitting the bag if you want."

"No its fine."

My eyes flicker to the clock that signifies we've been here for almost four hours. For at least two of those she's been running on a treadmill then beat the shit out of the bag for an hour. She's operating like a machine ready to explode.

Yet her mood hasn't improved any.

When I got home with Rhys it was like stepping into a minefield. She was emotionless - staring blankly at the tv and was surrounded by scrunched paper. It wasn't until Rhys asked if she was okay when she broke down in tears.

Jamie bounces once before striking out in a two punch, quickly I block the punches and deliver one to her shoulder. Separating she inhales sharply like it infuriated her being hit. It's like poking a bear and I don't know what I was thinking.

She comes at me again, except this time she doesn't stop swinging. My arms and hands burn from deflecting the hits. I focus on blocks rather than trying to fight back, using my knee to deflect a leg kick to the side.

Before I know it she uses her other leg to hook the back of my knee. I lose footing and crash down to the carpeted floor with a solid thud. Pain flares up my shoulders and head, black dots blurring Jamie as she stands above me.

"Shit, are you okay?"

I close my eyes hoping it will cease the pain and blurred vision. When I opened my eyes it takes a moment to adjust back to the room. Jamie isn't the only one standing above me now, two others sharing the area with us look concerned as her.

"I'm good," I sit up and swallow down the burn to throw up. "Just harder than I expected."

"I'm so sorry." Jamie apologizes as the strangers go back to their own activity.

I take her hand to get back to my feet, swaying slightly at the throbbing in my head. "It's fine. You're a tad bit pissed off."

"And I'm taking it out on you. Not particularly fair, is it?"

"I seriously don't mind. This is your way of dealing with everything."