THIRTY TWO

"It's not my fault he tried to run," Lachlan tries to justify his response to knocking my dad out

"It's not my fault he tried to run," Lachlan tries to justify his response to knocking my dad out. I continue to carefully clean the blood from under his nose while Rhys keeps pacing with worry. "That dude hates your guts so much it's almost hilarious."

I glance up at Rhys to catch the glare he sends in response. "I'm well aware of how much he hates me."

"Well it's not like you've fucked his daughter or anything."

The crude words are a dig at me and I ignore the sting of hurt behind them. I knew this was coming. I essentially betrayed him and forced a fight with his complicated non- girlfriend who I need to check on. He's within his right to be pissed at me.

"I haven't."

Lachlan stops snarling to look between us with disbelief. "Why the hell not? You've been together for almost a month now, I would've thought the reconnection would have incited it."

"He's forever stuck on base two until he tries sushi." I explain briefly and scrunch up my nose at the uncomfortable feeling of this conversation. Even with my dad unconscious it's still weird as hell.

"You were serious about that?"

"Tough break for you," Lachlan snorts and moves to the end of the lounge. "I hope you're going to be able to convince him."

Shaking my head slowly I pull back with the washer, the blood no longer smeared on his face. "I'm going to try and do what I have to so he doesn't."

"What if he tells you to dump Rhys?"

"I won't." I lean back to place the things on the coffee table that's now turned into a medical bay.

"So you're going to be selfish?"

I bite the corner of my lip to avoid snapping out a bitter response. "I'm a grown woman. If I want to be with Rhys it should be my decision because not only do I love him but I plan to spend the rest of my life with him."

"Can't spend it with him if he's in jail."

"I wouldn't be giving me relationship advice if I were you," I barely manage to filter my next words. "Not when you're too scared to go after the person you've wanted for years."

Just keep digging yourself a bigger hole.

Lachlan looks fuming and steps forward only for Rhys to clear his throat. "Don't."

"Control your bitch would you," He purposely sneers an insult at me and I duck my head when the guilt kicks in. I deserve it because no matter what I can't come back from this. "Or I'll-"