THIRTEEN

The blood stopped tinting the water running about five minutes ago

The blood stopped tinting the water running about five minutes ago. Yet I can't remove them without feeling nauseous. I never thought the first person I struck to cause damage would be Levi. It's scary in a weird way I resorted to striking him.

He screwed you over. He used you as a shield against Rhys so he wouldn't shoot.

"Kira?" Two knocks on the door and I snap out before it opens a little. Lachlan sticks his head in the crack. "You're not having an emotional break down, I don't know how to deal with them. It'd be a weird, stroking back and hope for the best thing."

I chuckled humorlessly and shake my head. "I'm fine, where's Rhys?"

Probably handing Levi over to James. The thought causes me to flinch and Lachlan frowns as he catches it. Turning the tapes off I gently dry my sore knuckles with a towel, knowing that dancing is going to hurt with them scratched.

"Levi didn't leave him much of a choice. You know he wouldn't hurt you by killing him, right?"

"He was going to shoot him," I bluntly respond and shake my head with a swallow. "Is it bad I don't care? I thought I would but he was warned, he hurt me verbally, he stole from me and took off because I wasn't worth it. Story of my life - I'm not worth the effort."

I bitterly throw the towel into the basket when the door swings open. Looking at Lachlan I freeze seeing Rhys standing beside him, his hand sprawled on the door as he shoved it open.

"He hurt you?"

"Did you hurt him?" My eyes flicker down to his hands and sure enough they're matching to mine. I take a few steps forward and grab onto his hands before he slips them into his jeans. "You didn't need to, I think I got him pretty good."

"He's lucky I didn't put a bullet through his head for using you as a shield."

I reeled back, about to drop my hands from his when he tightens his grip. Rhys' face remains emotionless as he pulls me closer with one hand before I'm engulfed in a hug. I relax slightly although it still feels tense acting so casual.

"I don't want you to kill for me. That isn't sweet and neither are you going all dark on people," I barely whisper, witnessing Lachlan creep away with my head pressed into his friends chest. Rhys tenses up and I grip his tee shirt so he doesn't pull away like his instincts tell him to. "I know you're a good guy who's had no luck in what he's been thrown his way. But please don't do your job purely for my sake."

"I'm not a good guy, Kira."

"Yes-"

"I'm only good to certain people and you need to remember that," he pushes himself back, rubbing the light scruff on his jaw. I look around trying to figure out what to say when he closes his eyes, only to open them with a shift in personality. "Levi's going to die tomorrow and I'll be the one to pull the trigger."