TWELVE

"Studio A and B are strictly for Ballet or kids under the age of nine so when you're here it's most likely to be in C or D," Cleo explains while gesturing to each studio

"Studio A and B are strictly for Ballet or kids under the age of nine so when you're here it's most likely to be in C or D," Cleo explains while gesturing to each studio. "I run jazz every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon. Molly does hip-hop on Tuesdays."

"What about Thursdays?" I ask, adjusting my bag strap on my shoulder.

At the moment the studio C is in use for a ballroom class being taught by Molly and the classical is echoing throughout. "I'm glad you're so eager to work - I like that. But to begin with four afternoons will be enough from two until seven."

"Sounds good to me."

Cleo rubs her hands together and rocks on the nude heels strapped to her feet. Her dark eyes follow my eye path to the studio occupied, vibrant red ponytail swishing in the process. Molly is her sister but she seems to be a completely different version with her dark hair is cropped short and spiky, the clothes she wears are traditional dance ones.

"She likes keeping in touch with her first style of dance. Our parents wanted us to be ballerinas in progress but failed which is why we avoid teaching that style," Cleo moves down the spacious hallway towards the reception. "What was your first style you learnt?"

"Ballet, it seems to be a stepping stone but I lacked the grace for some dances. I preferred hip-hop."

I slip through one of the double glass doors while moving to stand in front of the reception desk. My eyes flicker to the metallic gold star protruding from dark gray walls. Cleo places a thin booklet on the wooden desk and leans on the surface area holding a computer.

"Okay. This is just a list of rules and standard routines or movements so you know what they're called," she explains and I flip through it briefly with a nod. "Tomorrow you start with me to gain an insight of my classes and over the weekend I'd like for you to put together a routine to teach on Monday for them. It can be identical or specified - I teach the same three classes on Friday and Mondays."

"You want me to choreograph a routine?"

"I would like to see your capabilities first hand because this placement could lead to a full time position," Cleo smiles, exposing a dimple on her right cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow, Kira."

Nodding my head I take the booklet. "I look forward to it."

I back away and spin when I take the few steps to reach the glass doors that open automatically. The studio I managed to land my placement wasn't the one I learnt at but rather a new and upcoming one. It's owned by two sisters, the youngest being Cleo who is barely reached her late twenties.