THIRTY FIVE

"That can't be a good sign," I look blankly ahead of me, not knowing where Jamie is

"That can't be a good sign," I look blankly ahead of me, not knowing where Jamie is. "Kira . . . I'm not going to survive this - I'm not chained to a tree."

I inhale sharply and push my shoe off my foot. "Where are you?"

"I don't know. I can't see you or anyone else," I maneuver myself in order to twist my foot from the chain. Once free I scramble to my feet, trying to yank the shoe back on. "But I know I'm standing on a stool and something is around my neck, I can feel it."

"Keep talking to me."

I glance at the grave and feel an immense wave of guilt. He could suffocate or bleed to death. But a strong breeze could knock Jamie and make her hang herself. At least I know where Derek is.

Collecting the knife I slow down my pace after attempting to jog. Not good for my ribs. "And say what? That life is severely fucked up - I knew that some shitty thing would result in this and unlike everyone else I'm not dating any of the guys involved. Pretty fucked up, huh?"

"It is fucked up," I move closer, being careful not to step on any branches or round trees too fast. "But this is why Lachlan didn't want to tell you anything - this is what he feared would happen except it wouldn't be some twisted game. It would be a bullet between your eyes."

I hear a sniffle, stopping and spinning in the other direction. There's grunts, clawing of dirt, whimpers and crunches of leaves making noises deadly to pinpoint. I'm just hoping the crunch of leaves isn't anyone with a gun that wants us dead.

"All I wanted was him to tell me that himself. I wanted to know the risks and who would be responsible for it," Jamie answers quietly yet her voice is getting louder to me. "I wanted to be in the know and I would have been okay with it."

"You would have?" I nearly trip over a tree root and catch myself on the bark.

Up ahead I can make out a figure suspended from the ground. I move quickly, pushing past the pain of running as I rush to Jamie. She inhales sharply but relaxes when she realizes it's me.

"I don't need a knight in shining armor," I move around her, using the blade to cut through the cable ties binding her wrists together. Soon as they're cut, she reaches up to remove the noose and jumps down from the stool instantly. "I want a dark prince - not prince charming."

Being jerked from behind I scream and slash the blade without thinking. I'm released immediately as the person curses under his breath and I crumble to the ground with a yelp. Jamie crouches to my side and tries to examine my stomach.

"Jamie there's someone-"

"It's me you idiot," Lachlan snaps, inhaling sharply. "Where did you get a weapon from?"