Epilogue

"You do realize how annoying you're being, right?" Derek reminds, watching as I continue to fiddle around with a petite box and readjust the bow

My hands are shaking and I feel as if I could throw up any moment. Today's the day and I don't think I can stop moving.

Approximately three years, ninety-eight days ago Rhys was arrested and trialed for the murder of Trey Bennett. I remember watching the news cast - or rather just seeing him being led into the police station - and having a breakdown for a solid hour before falling asleep again.

When I woke up again I was shocked that Oscar was the one waiting for me and he told me the truth. It wasn't Rhys who pulled the trigger - it was Brody.

"Would you rather I be having a panic attack?" I snap back, glaring at his fingers that are tapping to the beat of some random song. "No? I don't think so, so shush."

Derek scoffs, ignoring my comment and pulling out his phone to text someone. I can feel the heat coming from inside the box, smelling the salivating taste of several burgers and fries. While it's a small gesture - I don't imagine prison food would have been the nicest.

He shouldn't have even been in there.

When Brody pulled the trigger and heard sirens, he blurted out that he was going to be a dad. So Rhys was found alone, standing near Trey’s dead body with blood on his shirt but without the murder weapon present - even if he did have a gun on him, the bullets were different and he had no residue on his hands.

On the upside, he now has a three year old boy named after him.

The only evidence was the fact he was found over the body and the blood on his shirt was a failed tempted at resuscitation, which is why he was found not-guilty, thanks to the legitimate lawyer my dad recommended. If it wasn't a conflict of interest - he would have represented Rhys himself which nearly had me bursting into tears.

Unfortunately, he was sentenced for having a concealed and unregistered weapon which landed Rhys in jail for three years and six months. Luckily, good behavior has him being released just under three months early.

"Who are you texting?" I asked, tucking my hands underneath my thighs to avoid fidgeting more.

"Jamie," his lips twitch slightly at the mention of her and I would normally tease him for his crush on her. "She's complaining about being hungover."

"Again?"

"You try going through what she has and tell me you wouldn't be screwed up," Derek gives me a look that warns me my concern came across a little bit too rude. "She still has her job so it's not affecting her-"

"I'm worried. She's not herself," I admit, knowing it isn't just me who's concerned about her recent habit. "You can't tell me it's not concerning how much she's been drinking, how she's shutting down and becoming a hermit."