FORTY

"Let go of me," Cleo breathes, fearful that I'll hit her at any minute

"Let go of me," Cleo breathes, fearful that I'll hit her at any minute. With the rage building up in me and the frustration of everything going to hell. "I'll scream . . . don't think I won't."

"Why?"

My question is simple and the fear flickers for a moment. "You're just like your boyfriend . . . nothing but trouble."

"I didn't vandalize the studio and I want to know why you said it was me," I yanked, twisting the scarf so it cuts in to her neck. She's slightly intoxicated because she doesn't fight back or get out of the scarf. "There's no reason for you to set me up like that - I'm a good person and I don't deserve this."

"Neither did Hayden," she snaps back, her eyes appearing lifeless without a fight. "Do you know what you did to her? What she went through?"

I blink several times. "What are you talking about?"

Cleo laughs humorlessly, dropping her head back and stumbling with her own weight. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Tell me."

"No," Her head drops back and she smiles bitterly, tsking in a taunting manor. "You don't deserve to be happy . . . you deserve to suffer for ruining her and I'm going to make sure you do."

Anger surges to the surface and I don't think before flinging her down to the ground. She hits the tarmac roughly while I stand above her, gritting my death and weighing up my choices. I could scare her, demanding won't be effective nor would hitting her which is what I really want to do.

"How did you know Hayden?" I paused, remembering the email she confronted me about. "You knew her and Jordan, didn't you? You knew who I was when I came in for the interview."

Cleo sits up, cringing at her scraped hands. "You're innocent, pure, perfect in the eyes of most and especially his . . . nobody compares to you."

"I'm not perfect," I whisper, shaking my head in disbelief. "Your idea of me, the identity you think I have is wrong . . . I did nothing to Hayden because I never met her."

"You took away her brother," she spits out and scans me with disgust. "Then chipped away at her until she became empty like a shell. It's all your fault and you deserve everything that's coming your way."

"Kira!" I tear my eyes away from her, seeing Rhys approaching with Alex behind him. He glances down at Cleo with shock. "What did you do?"

"She assaulted me," Cleo taunts, smirking before putting on a pained face. "She was mad that I confessed it was her and she just laid her hands on me, she was so angry."