FOURTEEN

"What poor kid gets forced to go to dance class during summer holidays?"

I stop the walk through of movements hearing Jamie's voice. Blinking several times as I take in her dolled up appearance. Her makeup is done to perfection, hair straightened and a dark maroon dress that matches her lips.

"Where are you going?"

Jamie glances down, pursing her lips before looking back up. "On a date, I'm meeting the guy at the restaurant."

"What?" I step forward, last I knew Lachlan was being taken home tonight. Even so he's in no condition for a date.

Judging by the slight flicker of guilt she catches on with a shrug. "I met the guy on Facebook. He's nice enough and I figured it's best if I step away from a mystery guy to one I know the intentions of. "

"And what intentions would that be?" I shake my head and immediately withdrawal that question. "Don't answer. You're going to hookup with this guy to get back at Lachlan, aren't you?"

Jamie shrugs once again with a scoff. "I don't know."

"I think you want to provoke a reaction."

"No. I am not that kind of girl," Jamie snaps and I swallow at the change of tone. "I've spent the past year trying to get Lachlan to open up, to trust me enough to fess up that he's involved in the shifty stuff Rhys is. That's all I want, baby steps and I'd be so happy if he just admitted it."

My eyes widen. "You knew?"

"They're best friends," she responds dryly and sighs. "It would explain why he kept his phone so close, why he would avoid me and why he didn't want anyone to see us together. . ."

Her expression saddens and I frown. "What's that for?"

"Can you do me a favor?" She asks rubbing her lips together. I reel back with skepticism but she continues. "I want you to check his home screen on his phone."

"Why?"

"There should be a photo of us together. He said he wanted to be the only one to see it and not just anyone," Jamie swallows and I can see her thoughts racing through her eyes. "He makes me feel lonely and isolated sometimes because of his secrets. I can't - it hits too close to home for me to keep doing it with him."

"You're not having troubles with your dad again are you?"

She nods stiffly. "Step-monster is still driving a wedge between us. I threatened to strangle her with her pearls for throwing mom's things in the trash, unfortunately dad overheard and took her side even after I told him what she did."

Jamie's facial expression goes hard immediately at the reminder and I have to click my fingers to tear her away from her thoughts. I know where they go to when she dazes out and it's not a pretty place.