THIRTY SIX

I swing my feet slightly from the uncomfortable hospital bed

I swing my feet slightly from the uncomfortable hospital bed. There's a screaming child in the next examination room and I can feel a similar turmoil. I want to scream and cry, I don't want to be stuck in this room without knowing what's happening to Derek.

Rhys forced me to check in at the emergency room after he was taken for surgery. After waiting another twenty-seven minutes I was guided into a room where a nurse felt my rib cage. In less than five seconds of the probing Rhys was told to leave the room when he started yelling at the nurse.

It was painful and he didn't like seeing or hearing it. So he left the room until it was finished and I was taken for an X-Ray. Now I'm waiting for confirmation of what's wrong with my ribs and for Rhys to get back from checking on Derek.

"Okay so the good news is you haven't broken a rib," The nurse explains and closes the door behind her. "The doctor will be in after she checks another patient and sign off on your prescription for pain killers for the two fractures. It goes without saying to take it easy - I just wanted to ask if a car accident was how you really broke it?"

I try to keep my breathing normal. "How else would I have done it?"

"It's procedure to ask when patients have an aggressive partner," She states slowly and I gape which causes her to rush out. "It's a completely safe space and if you need any assistance or help I can-"

"No. No. You have it completely wrong," I shake my head and feel angered by her sympathetic look. "He short circuits when I'm hurt because he can't make it stop or help me through it - just like he reacts when I have panic attacks."

"You have anxiety?"

"PTSD since I was sixteen and it's irregular," I answer before she tries to pin that on Rhys as well. "But my point is that he doesn't like being powerless to help me. He would never be violent towards me so I don't need the assistance."

She relaxes slightly but nods. "I'll leave you to wait for your doctor - shouldn't be any longer than five minutes."

As the nurse leaves I sag and give a tired smile as Rhys almost crashes into her. She ducks her head and veers away while he walks into the room. Immediately he comes between my legs and rests his hands on either side of my thighs.

"Are you okay? What did she say?"

I licked my lips and decide not to mention the domestic violence part to him. "Fractured two ribs so they aren't broken. I'm getting painkillers that the doctor is signing off on shortly then I'll be free to go."

"They won't tell me anything because I'm not family," he admits softly and bites his bottom lip. "When I said he doesn't have any they told me the emergency contact they had for him was Blair Watson - who they're trying to contact now."

"That doesn't surprise me," I mumble and frown. "His mom lives in another country with her third husband and his dad is dead. I doubt he'd have James or Trey as the contact."