FORTY FOUR

Once I made it to the sawmill and Brody arrived, he dropped me off to stay with Alex while he took care of everything

Once I made it to the sawmill and Brody arrived, he dropped me off to stay with Alex while he took care of everything. That was approximately seven hours ago and the sun is beginning to set.

My phone hasn't rung - no details, information or idea of what's happening. If it was a false alarm then Rhys would have told me, right? I wouldn't be here, fidgeting and being hyperactive in case someone comes barging through the door to kill me.

"You can put the TV on if you like," Alex calls out over the sound of sizzling sausages as she prepares a makeshift BBQ. "Maybe get your mind focused on something else?"

I wince and look down at my index finger which has half the nail hanging off from biting. Exhaling slowly I pull the nail off, ignoring the sting by shaking my hand out. Stop biting your nails. I take the remote from the coffee table and turn it on, blinking multiple times at the sight of an animal documentary.

"Who's the documentary lover?" I immediately start flicking through channels, needing something that won't make my insides feel worse.

"Brody. He has a weird fascination with animals and how they live in the wild. They bore me to death," she calls out but chuckles at the thought. "Then again I do make him watch a rom-com every weekend. I secretly think he loves The Notebook."

That brings a slight smile to my lips. Although that fades when I pass the news and hear the phrase "found dead". I flick back and see the reporter looking grim as she goes into details as a shot captures the warehouse I stalked Rhys to. Oh no, no, no, no, no.

"The male has recently been identified as twenty-six year old Levi Abontheny, a medical graduate who's been reported missing for a week. While there are currently no suspects, the police urge anyone with information to come forward."

I feel like sand has been shoved down my throat and every swallow is grinding painfully. This can't be happening. I shake my head, extending the remote to change the channel but pause as the next story comes on.

"Early this morning, a woman was shot in what appears to be a home invasion gone wrong. The incident occurred at Whitefelt street around seven-fifteen where a witness indicated a man had ran away from the scene carrying a gun. He was described as athletic, tall, mid-twenties, and police are currently looking for any eye witnesses to identify the current suspect in holding. Coming up after the-"

The remote gets snatched from my hand and changed to some cooking show but I'm too focused on what I did manage to hear. Identify current suspect. Rhys. I feel my breathing get sharper with the realization that this could have been Trey's plan all along.

To set Rhys up for murder - on multiple accounts. Levi. James. Katherine. What if this was to get power? From the sounds of it, Rhys was like a son to James even while his own was right there seeking praise.

It's crazy. But it makes sense - everything was done meticulously and planned down to the finest detail. It's like a chess game and I don't like the fact that I've been a pawn in this.