TWENTY EIGHT

I should have seen it coming

I should have seen it coming. The morning after being a normal couple with Rhys, he disappears before I wake up. He didn't leave a note and he's been rejecting my calls, ignoring my texts about him being a jerk over leaving before we talked.

I understand him trying to keep me at an arm's length but it won't work this time. Not when my deadline has expired and I'm eyeing my bedside table where a gun rests behind my Harry Potter books. Jamie has her own and wouldn't come in to use mine - it has better odds of her not discovering it.

Besides, she's barricaded herself in her room after she stormed into my room about an hour after I left her to get ready. When she got to the guys apartment after Lachlan turned up at the restaurant, he rejected her for sex and in his true form made a bigger mess of things by saying he won't reduce her to a slut.

She was sensitive over Taylor's words and Lachlan didn't know how to react when she started a rant on feminism before leaving. That was when Rhys quite bluntly told her to leave and nearly man handled her to her room which didn't go down well.

Maybe that's why he left, to avoid round two.

I purse my lips and shake my head slowly, knowing he left to avoid having a talk with me. He's stubborn about keeping me out of this as much as possible but I still feel responsible for this. He's essentially taking care of something that could have been prevented if I hadn't cared about Levi.

Because of that decision we could all end up dead.

When my phone vibrates I tighten my grip before it falls to the floorboards, staring at my dad's contact. I can feel my heartbeat thudding in my ears with fear and dread punches me in the gut. Dear god no. Not again. I swipe accept quickly and force myself to remain calm.

"Hello?"

"What's this I hear about you being engaged to that monster?" I gape at the aggressive words, on the other line I can hear the murmur of a radio and traffic. "Kira Marie Collins, you better answer me immediately."

"Who told you that lie?" The words barely string together as I settle slightly.

"You know. I had hopes you wouldn't be dragged back into that boy's drama and bullshit but I guess not. I thought you were smarter."

I licked my lips. "I'm not engaged to Rhys . . . even if I were it wouldn't be of your concern."

"I am your father. You don't get to-"

"I'm an adult now so you don't get to tell me what I can and can not do. That includes who I date."

He sneers out a bitter response. "I can have him locked up, you know? You wouldn't see him ever again."