THIRTY EIGHT

"Kira, wait!"

"Kira, wait!"

I slam the car door behind me while rushing to the open front door. My feet sink into the grass and by the time I reach the front door I'm yanked back around my waist. The aggressive pull has me yelping at the pressure and I don't fight his arm.

"Let me go, please."

"You nearly ran into the house without thinking about what could be inside," he snaps, anger reflecting in his tone and I try to remove his arm from me. "Don't be stupid."

I dig my nails on purpose. "Get off me - now."

Rhys maneuvers me around before releasing me. I pivot around to face the house again while he steps inside the foyer cautiously, gun in hand as he looks around. I stay in the door frame and listen to any sounds only to be met by silence.

"I was wondering when you would get here," Immediately Rhys raises his gun and I rush inside, tugging at the back of his shirt so he doesn't shoot Oscar. "The girl got away, harm free although same can't be said for three of Trey's guys. She impaled a knife in one of their feet and set a slippery trap where one shot themselves, the other broke his jaw on the stairs."

"Why are you here?"

"I was told to burn the house down," Oscar looks at me and kicks the tank by his feet. "Obviously that's not going to happen and I have a better idea of what to burn tonight."

"Don't bullshit me. Why are you waiting for us?"

"That's no way to talk to your father."

I licked my lips when Rhys clicks the safety off his gun. "You have a lot of explaining to do."

"About what?" Oscar sits down on the lounge and stretches back on it. "You can put the gun down as well. I'm not going to shoot you or your girlfriend."

Rhys doesn't respond and instead reaches a hand back to grab mine. He replaces my hands on his gun. "Shoot if necessary, I'm checking to see if anyone else is here."

Uncomfortably I point the gun at Oscar who waits until Rhys is out of sight. I awkwardly look around, the lounge room isn't as messy as I thought it would be. The table is flipped and the photo frames have been smashed on the floor.

"I see you made it out alive," He does a once over and remains emotionless. "Minimal damage, if not any."

"Two fractured ribs." I admit hesitantly and he nods.

"They're a bitch to deal with. Painful and uncomfortable," He waves behind me and I assume it's to Rhys. "Just having a conversation, not like I'm threatening her or anything."