THIRTY SEVEN

The atmosphere is tense and silent

The atmosphere is tense and silent. I keep my eyes focused on the coffee cup in my hands while Rhys keeps his arm around me, occasionally holding up a fork with egg or bacon to make sure I eat. I feel nauseous with worry and eating is the last thing I want to do but I need to take my pain medication.

Lachlan is fiddling with some wires for a sensor he's planning on placing on the back gate. Neither of the guys have mentioned James' death and it's the biggest elephant in the room. Apart from the one currently upstairs.

According to Lachlan, Jamie had a breakdown last night. Which means something isn't right. She doesn't have breakdowns unless something is severely wrong and if Lachlan traumatized her that badly, then I don't know how to comfort her.

It's not easy confronting death like that. Especially if Lachlan got carried away.

I could only imagine. The severity of his hits, agility and anger could only mean he tore him to pieces. When it comes to Jamie he's protective and territorial as hell - the carnage would have been increased considering they were going to hang her.

"When she comes down we can't all be silent," I state softly, knowing it'd do more harm if she overheard this conversation. "If she's had a breakdown like you said, she's truly hurt inside because she rarely cries."

"We can't also demand her to open up and express her feelings - therapy shit doesn't work." Lachlan snaps and I cluck my tongue at his foul mood.

"Nobody in this house likes to open up so watch your tone please," I accept the piece of egg from Rhys and slowly chew as he addresses Lachlan. "Kira's right though. From what I know about Jamie, she likes it simple and light. This depressing mood isn't going to help."

"Yeah, let's pretend it's all fucking rainbows and sunshine. Wake the fuck up," He secures the wires inside the black detector and presses the lid shut with a scowl. "Not everyone is in a love bubble and can rely on another person."

I furrow my eyebrows. "If you got over your fears than maybe you would both have someone."

"I tried," He bangs the device against the counter and sucks his lips in. "I tried to open up and she didn't give back. She's the one who's locked up like Fort Knox."

"What did you tell her?"

"I told her I was a mercenary last night," I almost choked on my tongue. He senses my look and he shakes his head. "I have horrible timing. But she was pressing about my fighting, gun control, the secrets and everything so I gave something up. That's when James decided to make it a nightmare for us both, one final fuck over that's going to keep me single for the rest of my life. Prick."