EIGHTEEN

"You're in a good mood today," I commented sarcastically as Jamie enters the kitchen after kicking the crap out of the washing machine

"You're in a good mood today," I commented sarcastically as Jamie enters the kitchen after kicking the crap out of the washing machine. She ignores me and makes a beeline for the coffee as expected. "No luck?"

"We need to buy a new machine - it's broken."

I stir around the remaining cereal with a frown. "Did you seriously break it?"

"No."

"Then why do we need a new one?"

"Because it's not working," she slams down her coffee mug onto the counter top only for it to shatter in her hand. "Oh come on!"

I bite my cheek to avoid laughing in probably the worst time possible. She tosses the remaining handle into the bin before running a hand through her hair. Scooping the remaining specks of corn flakes up I devour them quickly as she turns around.

Jamie sighs and shakes her head, disappearing from my sight. I eyed the broken ceramic on the counter, glancing back to see her coming back with a dustpan and brush. Once the shards are swept and in the bin I brave asking the dreaded question.

"What's really wrong with you?"

"Nothing. I'm just having a really shitty day."

"That's it?"

She scoffs and starts a tally on her fingers. "Firstly I tripped when I got out of bed, over nothing but my own feet. Secondly we ran out of coffee. Then at the store I went to they only had decaf so I was forced to go to another shop to get it. When I went to use the washing machine it refused to work, I thought it was the tap at the back but I went to tighten the bolt which broke the hose. Now my toe hurts from kicking it and I need to get a new mug."

"How did you break the hose?"

"Because this house is kind of old and falling the shit, kind of like my life at the moment. I just want to fucking scream and cry," Jamie inhales and exhales deeply, dropping her head. "No. I am fine, this is just a bump. I am fine and it's going to get better."

The whispered words are a mantra I've only heard a few times. Especially from Jamie. Her mind races and indulges in darker thoughts that sometimes can't be helped. It's meant to slow her down so she think clearly and most of the time it works.

"How about you have a shower then spend the rest of the day playing Mario Kart?"

Jamie raises her head. "I can't. I need to start organizing next semester's class schedule and I need to go shopping, plus look into getting the machine fixed."

"School can wait one day and I'll take care of the rest of it," she goes to argue but I cut her off. "It won't be a problem as long as you text me a list of what we need. I'll get it on my way home from work so you can have a calming day before you break anything."