SIX

Scrunching my nose up at the influx of coffee I shift away from the smell when a sledgehammer collides with my head

Scrunching my nose up at the influx of coffee I shift away from the smell when a sledgehammer collides with my head. I groan and feel the vibrations tighten the knots on either side of my temples. I force myself to relax and squint my eyes, aware of the sensitivity to everything in a hungover state.

"I brought you coffee," I blinked furiously at the voice, snapping my head back to the figure sitting beside me. "Two sugars and milk."

On instinct I sit up, scrambling out of bed and catching my ankle on the sheet. I whimper at the carpet burn but cradle the sides of my head. The only thing not making this experience even more painful is the fact the curtains are shut, only light from the open bedroom door illuminating the room.

"Why the hell am I in your bed, Lachlan?"

I rolled onto my back, staring at the ceiling with widened eyes. Frantically I pat myself to make sure I'm fully clothed and as I touch my clothing I feel slightly relieved. Okay so I didn't sleep with him.

A chuckle comes from him. "Actually, you're in Rhys' bed."

"How?" I whine, slowly sitting up and massaging my temples as if that will help.

"You answered Jamie's phone last night and abused me for stalking her along with other harsh things," he shakes his head and moves around the bed, stopping in front of me. "Long story short we had to rescue you both - mainly you - from a group of guys that couldn't handle a girl beating them at pool, Jamie unconscious, and you barely able to walk."

"Wait, why was she unconscious?"

I take the coffee as he reaches into his jeans, a small silver packet of pills in his hand which I take. "You hit one of them with a stick when they tried to lift Jamie's skirt, he tried something on you, you swung back which is why you have that, his friend grabbed you, Jamie tried to get him off but got flung back into the pool table edge. We came along before it got even worse."

I glance down at my knuckles which I didn't even notice until now. They're wrapped up in a white bandage, hints of red staining the material. I throwback two tablets to help with the headache and wash them down with coffee.

I still hate coffee, the only exception is when I needed a severe kick awake during college or in situations like this.

"So basically I tried to pick a fight?" I nod slowly, glancing at the bandage with anything but a surprise. "Awesome. One week here and the only thing missing is me getting hospitalized, I still have a few hours so you never know."

"What is your problem?" Lachlan scoffs, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

His eyes narrow and props himself on his legs. "I have many, try to be more specific."

"Your personality shift. I don't mind it but you aren't the same caring, selfless girl from high school."

I force myself to drink more coffee because realistically the bitterness is equally as punishing as his words. That girl died a long time ago. Caring is a toxic thing to do and if I don't care then I can't get hurt. But obviously that's not working for me.