FORTY SIX

"I hate this," I whispered, running my fingers through his wet hair and gripping the towel with the other

"I hate this," I whispered, running my fingers through his wet hair and gripping the towel with the other. "I'm basically saying goodbye."

Rhys doesn't react, just letting me style his hair how I want and letting me fixate on it. Last night was amazing to say the least. It was everything I could ever want - loving, intimate and suffocating in all the right ways.

It was perfect. Even if it felt like I was being torn apart because I knew once it was over then there was every possibility I'm going to lose him.

"I want to ask you something," I feel his finger brush my ring, adjusting it slightly to sit properly. "How would you feel about me giving you a tattoo? A dragon on your back."

"Like what I talked about when I came to see you at work?"

He smiles slightly although it doesn't reach his eyes. "When you stalked me . . ."

"I didn't stalk you," I protested, tugging his hair slightly so he looks up from my hand. I readjust on the bathroom sink, bringing the towel up to his hair and beginning to towel dry it again. "I was investigating."

"Well I'm glad you did," he closes his eyes and let's me dry his hair, looking blissed out at the feeling. "But would you let me give you a tattoo?"

"Tattoos are permanent."

"So are we," he opens his eyes when I stop suddenly. "I'd let you tattoo something on me . . . except you aren't trained."

"What if I designed something then?"

He smiles slightly. "So we have a deal?"

"You would actually let me design something for you?" I gape in disbelief although it brings a smile to my lips.

"I know you're capable of drawing," he brings his hand up, brushing the corner of my lips. "Plus if it makes you happy then I'd do anything for that."

I try to keep my smile but it feels like it's slipping every second that passes. This is it. My heart is aching at the possibility that our moments together could cease to exist once he leaves today. I can feel him slipping through my finger tips and there's nothing I can do to hold onto him.

Either Trey dies or we all go down in his sick game. Both options require sacrifice and I'm not prepared to make the greatest one again. I won't give up on Rhys or our future so I'll do whatever it takes to secure it.

"You should have approached me junior year," I turn my head slightly, kissing the crevice between his thumb and index finger. "I just want more time with you and it's always running out."

"Junior year I was still trying to escape and you weren't anywhere near ready for me to come into your life," He pushes my hair back, picking up a comb and hair tie before beginning to push mine back gently. "I had made a deal with Nate though so I would have during senior year."