FORTY ONE

"I don't know what to say to you," Rhys' voice is barely heard from behind me

"I don't know what to say to you," Rhys' voice is barely heard from behind me. "I don't know how to make this better."

After Alex dropped me home last night I braved going in Lachlan's room - surprisingly it was clean and spotless - and switched his sheets with clean ones so I could sleep without worrying about what happened recently in them. It was when I was getting out of the shower that Rhys came home and realized I had no intention of sleeping with him in his room.

I knew that hurt him - just like denying his touch or giving the cold shoulder does. He wants to fix this and I don't know how that's going to happen. Cleo got in my head last night. Even if Hayden was obsessed with him, she still killed herself because she was heartbroken.

That hits way too close to home for me to brush it off. Deep down I know Rhys didn't mean to push her but the situation is complicated and twisted. He shouldn't have slept with her because he knew how she felt and had no intention of returning those feelings.

He used her and then bit back when she tried to take her place by removing any memory of me. She shouldn't have done that and if she was smarter, the picture would have been a warning that what happened between them wasn't as meaningful to him as she thought.

"What are you going to do about Trey?" I divert the topic, seeking warmth from the mug in my hands.

The weather outside is vicious, thundering and pelting down rain as if it reflects my own turmoil. Rhys' weight creaks the floorboards and he stands to my right, trying to see if I'm alright. But I stay focused on the tv playing a repeat episode of Friends.

"Babe we need-"

"Don't call me that," I whisper, glancing his way and immediately regretted the rejection of his endearment. He looks like hell. "I don't want to talk about it because it'll only end with us both getting hurt."

"You can't just push this away, it's not something we can ignore."

"Do you really want to do this now?" I ask with disbelief, assessing the stress and sleepless state of Rhys. "I'm pretty sure you barely slept."

"I can't sleep without you beside me."

My heart softens and I drop my eyes to the half empty mug of coffee. "Do you blame yourself for her death?"

"No," He doesn't hesitate and sits down on the armchair beside me diagonally. "Not anymore. I was just the final domino that broke her after a shit load of pain."

I stretch my fingers out, trying to think and speak carefully. "I don't understand why she would still want you when you hurt her dad and played a part in her brother going to jail."

"I don't know either."

"No matter how bad you were hurting you shouldn't have had sex with her," My voice cracks slightly when my emotions start getting the better of me. "You knew about her past, her family . . . did you at least tell her beforehand that it wouldn't mean anything?"