NINETEEN

"You need to tell Rhys about this

"You need to tell Rhys about this."

Derek continues to lightly dab an anesthetic wipe across my hand, causing me to winch. I can feel every single cut caused by the glass stinging and I shake my head. He sighs, tilting my hand to check for anymore glass shards.

"There's no point," I shake my head and feel my stomach twist when he picks up the tweezers. "He'll only worry and there's nothing he can do- ow!"

I try to jerk my arm back but Derek keeps a firm grip on my wrist, giving me a pointed look to stop moving. Exhaling deeply I uncurl my hand for him to remove another thin yet sharp strand from my palm. I dare a look seeing stained skin with multiple cuts along the palm and fingers.

"Someone is screwing with you."

"I know." I grind out, shaking my head while glancing to the hallway. "They can get lost if they think I'm just going to leave."

Derek groans as he stands back up, collecting the few items he recruited from the bathroom. "I'll be back with a bandage, stay where you are."

Reluctantly I nod and watch him disappear before observing the damage. My right hand is cut up severally with close to twenty small cuts whereas my left only has a few.

Hearing the door knock heavily I pause the movie and kick off the blanket to answer it. I sent Derek a text an hour ago to see if he wanted to catch up, more like monitor his progress with his delightful family. They have an influence over him and it's toxic according to Blair.

Plus he hasn't been responding to messages from Rhys either which has me worried.

I reach the door and open it with wide eyes. A massive bouquet of flowers are being barely held up by underneath their buds. Behind the bright red petals I see a gray uniform, along with a bored expression in the delivery guys face.

"Kira Collins?"

I nod and see him try to shuffle the flowers to one hand to get the machine from under his arm. My eyes flicker back to the roses and feel a flurry of emotions. Why did Rhys get me flowers? Especially a bunch this big when he knows I like simplicity - not that I'm not ungrateful or anything.

"I just need you to sign-"

Before he can juggle the bouquet he almost drops the machine, as a result he lunges to catch it. I do the same but for the roses, gripping the stems to avoid crushing the buds. Except the pressure feels like a million pin pricks digging into my palm.

I hiss and pull my left hand back to pull the thorns out but feel my stomach twist. Tiny pieces of glass stick out of my palm and dots of blood appear around them. I freeze up, only to whimper when the pain level in my right hand becomes unbearable.

I drop the flowers and feel tears prick my eyes as I examine my bloodied hands. Looking at the delivery guy his eyes are wide and he gapes like a fish. Behind him I see Derek who wears a scowl, it vanishes when we make eye contact and he quickened his pace.