Chapter Twenty-Six: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Winning

"You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win."

-Zig Ziglar

Payback Sucks, So Do You!

Chapter 25: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Winning

"And that is how I got banned from a mini golf place." I finished my story just as Beck finished setting up the last table.

"Remind me to never go golfing with you."

"I told Miguel I sucked at it but he just started yelling at me in Spanish. Also his fault for forcing my competitive side out. And the owner's fault for giving me a weapon."

Beck looked at me, "Nobody expected you to swing at the poor guy."

"Every man knows you never tell a woman to calm down."

"You were eleven. That hardly qualifies as a 'woman'."

I smiled at him. "Have I ever told you the story of how I got my first period."

"No, and please don't ever."

I winked at him, "Keep talking like that and I will." I hopped off the table I was sitting on. I walked into the kitchen with Beck following behind me.

"Maddie we finished setting up--what are you doing?"

Maddie and Adora were attempting to make cookies. Or I think they were cookies. They might have been thick cupcakes. Muffins? I seriously have no idea.

"Making cookies." Adora answered.

I looked at the pan, "You know you have to seperate them on the pan right? Because they grow."

Adora faced palmed. "I knew something didn't look right."

Maddie laughed and turned to me, "So who did you pick to be on your team?"

Everyone new season the pack has an extreme cookout/picnic thingy that lasts a week. Each day is a different event. Today being Monday is the opening ceremony and the first game. Which is usually something easy like a race or something. Everyone is split into teams of three which are chosen by the team captains. Those too old to participate elect the captains. I am captain this year, along with Kayda, Dustin, Maddie, Harper, and this annoying fourteen year old kid named Jacoby.

We all picked teams together so Maddie and I already know who's on the others team but people like Adora and Beck will find out today. And they really want to know, so we tease them about it.

"You'll have to see."

Suddenly I was tackled from behind. "EVYNNE!" I turned around to see a familiar fourteen-year-old girl standing in front of me.   

"Sydney!" I exclaimed hugging her.

Ah, you see I almost forgot about Sydney, the final child of the Pair family. Sydney really wanted to go to school in another country so we shipped her off for her first year of highschool. She is back because of spring break. I think.

Sydney looked like her brother's with brown hair and blue eyes and she was tan and pretty. She was also really fun to tease about small things like boys.

"So any cute british boys?"

"I went to Spain." She corrected me.

"Right! Oh! That's even better! Think you can set me up?" I joked causing Beck to growl. I rolled my eyes. "Beck this is an 'A' and 'B' conversation. Go find something else to do."