Chapter 37 | My Independence

"There's always the option of deciding for yourself who you are and what you'll become."

-Jodi Meadows, Incarnate

•••

Shane's Pov

Two weeks.

It's almost two weeks since I ran off from the people I can't believe was my family.

The night I went to Sunny, doon na din ako nag stay for a night sa kanila. The next day, I went to an ATM machine and lucky for me na widraw ko pa 'yung huli kong allowance bago pa ipa-deactivate 'yun ng mga magulang ko. With that money, I was able to find myself an apartment to rent.

Noong araw din na 'yun, I went back to my parent's house to get some of my stuffs. Fortunately, as expected no one was there but the house staffs.

That same day, inasikaso 'yung mga requirements para sa pag a-apply ng trabaho and the next day, I went looking for a job. The next day after that, I decided to go to school to check if I'm still enrolled or already drop by my parents and yes, they already did dropped me.

That same day, despite being dropped out of school, the fast food chain I applied to, called me saying I got accepted and I can start the next day. The first three days none of my family members tried to reach out or call me and I feel so damn free and happy.

In that three days, I was never actually alone, Sunny often come over to my apartment after her class and the day I start working, she often went to my work place after class and wait for me until my shift ends. Then I'll walk her home. Sunny being there for me just make my day, make the heavy, light and make the hard, easy and I was so thankful that I had someone like her. I used to think that I was better off alone, then Sunny happened.

The end of the first week of me being away, that's when my parents started bothering me. They blow up my phone with non stop text and call, that made me change my phone number. They even sent people to my work place para sunduin ako and I felt nothing but to be more pissed at them.

Now I'm on my second week of being freed. Second week of my independence.

For almost two weeks of living on my own, I actually didn't find it hard. It challenges me. Ako nag luluto ng sarili kong pagkain, nag lalaba ng sarili kong damit, nag lilinis ng apartment ko at iba pang mga bagay. It feels so... normal.

My shift is almost over and Sunny at her usual booth, waiting patiently for me and eating the burger I bought for her. I can't help not to smile while starring at her and cleaning the counter at the same time.

When my shift ends, I walk towards Sunny and told her that we can go. I grab her bag like I usually do everytime as we went outside. At first she was protesting at the gesture, pero kalaunan hindi na din naman siya nag reklamo because she know wala na din naman siyang magagawa.

"So how was school?" Tanong ko kay Sunny as usual. She was about to answer me when a black familiar car park infront of the fast food chain at hinarang kami.

I immediately grab Sunny's hand and drag her away. Then I heard the car door slam and someone called my name. Tumigil kami ni Sunny sa pag lalakad. I sigh, facing my grandfather, Randy walking toward us.

"Shane, can we just talk?" Paki usap niya. He was my mom's father. And honestly, kumpara sa mga grand parents ko, lolo Randy was the nicest to say the least.

He's the only one who's not against to everything I want. Pinag tatanggol din niya ako sa magulang ko noong bata ako kapag pinapa galitan ako. I was actually close to him before, until I decided to build walls to everyone.

"If you are here to please me to go back to my parents too, then we have nothing to talk about." Walang emosyon kong sabi, squeezing Sunny's hand for comfort. Lolo Randy sigh.

"It's just a talk." Bulong naman ni Sunny sa akin, giving me a small encouraging smile. God, how can I resist her?

"Fine, we'll talk." Sabi ko, that made lolo Randy smile a little. Umupo muna si Sunny sa bench outside the fast food chain because she refused to come inside the car. While lolo Roman and I went inside his car, seating on the backseat.

"How are you?" He ask the moment I closed the door beside me.

"I'm doing great, greater than when I'm still with them." I answered casually, referring my family at the last part.

"Sana hindi mo ikakasama ano? Pero do you have any plans at all to come back to your family?"

"No." I answered without any second thoughts. "As I said I'm more than doing okay than I am with them. This who I am, someone who cannot be controlled and I wanted to prove to them that I can do it without them. This is the life that I want, something... something normal, without anyone saying what should I do or who I should be."

"But you know, they are still your family hijo." Lolo Randy reminded me.

"Yeah and it's just so ironic you know? They are my family, but I can't feel that they are." Napa buntong hininga ulit si lolo, bago mag salita.

"I guess you're already decided."

"Yes and I hope you understand."

"I do." He said with a small smile, patting my shoulder. "But what about your dream to work in NASA?"

Hindi agad ako naka sagot. For almost two weeks of living and actually surviving on my own, I forgot about my dream, I forgot that I actually had a dream.

"I--"

"I can help you with that." Lolo Ronald cut me off.

"No, I..." I said stuttering. I honestly don't know what to say. Call me full of pride but as long as possible, I wanted to do things on my own.

"Shane, no one has to know. Just let me help you, it's the least your lolo can do to help you." He pursued and I looked away, thinking.

"You can train under your cousin who works there too." Dagdag pa niya.

Landon, was my cousin on my father side who works as an astronomer in NASA. Medyo ka close ko din siya because we shared the same interests, until he have to go to Texas to study astronomy and work for NASA afterwards. He was five years older than me. I honestly kinda envy him because his parents supported him.

Working for NASA has been my dream for so long as I can remember. All I have to do is say yes to lolo Randy. How can I say no, now?

"I'll think about it."

"I know how you wanted to work in NASA, you're an intelligent boy and I can see how independent you really are and it can't just be wasted. You know how to contact me." He said. I nodded thanking him, bago bumaba sa kotse niya.

Tumayo na din si Sunny sa kinauupuan niya and walks towards me. Lolo Randy's car drove away, before Sunny speaks.

"Lolo mo ba 'yun?"

"Yeah."

"Mukha siyang mabait." Naka ngiting sabi ni Sunny.

"He is." Pag sasang ayon ko naman, smiling a little at her. Then we start walking our way sa bahay nila.

"Kamusta 'yung pag uusap niyo?" Tanong ulit ni Sunny, habang nag lalakad kami.

"It went well," Tipid kong sagot, as she only smiled at me.

I don't know why I don't have the guts to tell her everything my lolo and I talked about, specially the NASA part. I know she would be happy for me, I know she will. What I don't know is how would she feel, about me leaving.

Pero matagal ko na 'tong gusto and without second thoughts, I wanted to do this.