20

He shushed me, brows furrowed in annoyance, "Fucks sake, you're so loud." He mumbled, "You said catsrock89?" He asked, and I nodded. "Yes, catsrock89." I confirmed. He typed it in and sure enough, that was the password. I snorted, grinning, "What idiots." I muttered. He ignored me and began going through the deleted footage, a focused expression on his face.

I could hear footsteps echoing down the hallways, the sound travelling into this small room. I didn't get to see who it was who'd actually broken in and cut the wires before Reed shut off the computer at the same time I heard somebody open the door outside of the room we were in. I pulled him out of his chair by his shirt, glancing around the room to see if there was somewhere we could hide.

I feel Reed's hand on my shoulder before he shoves me down onto my knees, pushing me beneath the desk before he crawls under the large desk while I pull my legs up to my chest. I can't see a damn thing, staring into the pitch black in front of me as I hear the door to the room open, and then footsteps filing into the room. I bite my lip, flashlights pointing around the room as Reed places his hand onto the back of my neck and turns me to face him.

His voice is quiet as he speaks, "Follow me and be quiet." He hisses. I nod, gripping onto the fabric of his shirt while he begins quietly crawling from under the desk, me following behind him. There are only three guards and Reed were on the way out the door when I accidentally hit the doorknob, sending off a creaking noise as the door pushed back into the wall.

I instantly booked it out of there after Reed when the guards whipped around and began yelling incoherent nonsense over each-other the second they spotted me. I slammed the door shut and Reed and I ran into the nearest classroom, and I slammed the door. I groaned when I noticed this was the same room that didn't have a lock on the door.

Reed suddenly picked up a desk, and I jolted in surprise when he threw it at a window. I gaped at him as the window smashed and the desk fell to the floor, while he grabbed me by the waist and pulled me over to the broken window. He helped me through by sticking my legs through first this time, and my butt thankfully didn't get stuck this time as I easily slipped through and dropped to the ground.

I stumbled a little, the ground being differently leveled on the front of the building than the side or the back. The back of the building had slanted ground, but the front was worse somehow, making me trip over my own feet. Reed came toppling down onto me as I was getting up, knocking me over again as I shrieked in surprise a little before he practically jumped up.

"Let's go!" He snapped, pulling me off the ground as he glanced over his shoulder. "Oh, fuck." I gasped, looking over his shoulders to see the guards beginning to climb out of the window.

The two of us raced away like our asses were on fire, our feet hitting noisily against the pavement. Unfortunately, we had to run the opposite direction in which his car was parked, as it was on the other side of the building that we usually entered, near the back. This time, we'd entered the side and left through the front, both of which we hadn't done until now.

I pulled off my mask when we were out of sight, as did Reed, but we didn't stop sprinting. I don't know how long or how far we'd run but by the time we'd stopped, I was gasping for air as I leaned against a tree. I was itching for something to drink after that, my body shaking a little while I plopped down onto the ground with my back against the tree trunk. "Damn, you're seriously unfit." Reed remarked, not even out of breath.

I glared at him, "Shut up! The most exercise I do is walking from my bed to the kitchen." I snapped, to which he snorted and rolled his eyes. He plopped down beside me after taking off the bag he always brought with us, shoving both our masks into it and then pulling out a water bottle.

Reed opened it, bringing the bottle to his lips and taking several gulps, his jawline sharp. When he closed the cap again, I gripped his arm and pouted, "Can I have some?" I pleaded. He scoffed, shoving my hand off of him, "No." He said blankly, rolling his eyes as he went to shove the bottle back into his bag. I leaned closer, grabbing his wrist, "Please? I just helped you!" I exclaimed, to which he raised a brow.

"Really? At which part? The one where you hit the doorknob and almost got us caught?" He retorted, and I frowned. "But...I-I...I didn't mean to. It was an accident." I mumbled, dropping my hand off of him as I leaned away. "Yeah, you seem to be prone to those." He rolled his eyes. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything at all.

I stayed quiet for a second, "Why do you hate me so much?" I asked softly, playing with my fingers. "I've never even done anything to you." I stated, but I couldn't find it in me to glance up at him, even for a second. "You want to know?" He asked, and I hesitated but then nodded. "You really want to know?" He asked. I nodded again.

"Because you've got this perfect little life of yours. You're always off in your own fucking world and you don't pay attention to anything unless it has something to do with something that interests you. You can deny it all you want, but you're a fucking bitch, Leila, and you know it. I hate that there are so many people who used to put you on a pedestal for being a prude while other people at our school get shamed for it and I hate that you are such an annoying little bitch." He hisses.

I stare at him for a second, and then glanced down at my hands, playing with my ring. "I don't get you, Reed." I said quietly, running my finger along my nails. "You give me this vibe that you don't like assumptions or judging and being judged, but you always do it to me. You don't even know me and you act like you do." I sighed.

"You want to talk to me about not knowing someone? Why don't you go talk to Noah?" He hissed, and then he tossed the water bottle at the side of my head. I jerked back as the bottle fell to the ground, frowning up at him, "Noah? What does he have to do with this?" I asked.

He paused for a second. "It was him, stupid. Your precious friend cut the wires."