38

When Saturday rolled around, I slept in much later than I would normally have. Usually I got up at no later than noon, but today I'd gotten up a little after four PM.

I hopped into the shower once I finally got up, standing in there underneath the water for far longer than I really needed to. When I finally got out, I slipped on a pair of leggings and a tank top, not caring to make myself look nice. It wasn't like I was going anywhere today and mom was at work now. Why dress anything other than comfortably?

I smiled at Jack as he jumped off of my bed, making it obvious to me that he needed to go to the bathroom with the way that he was excitedly jumping around by my closed bedroom door. I flung open the bedroom door and he went bounding out of my bedroom and down the stairs, leaving me by myself. I walked over to moms room and let Cookie out of her cage, taking her down the stairs before putting her down on the floor.

I couldn't let her walk down the stairs by herself because she was small and the steps were big. When she first tried to go down them, she had literally flipped from the step she was on and tumbled down two more steps. Obviously, I didn't want any repeats of that. She could've gotten very hurt.

I let the two of them out back, leaving the back door open while I searched for something to eat so that they could come back inside whenever they were ready to. I made myself a bowl of cereal and sat at the dining table, thinking back to yesterday. Surprisingly, Reed, for how much he said he'd wanted to talk, had made absolutely no effort to talk to me even after school was over. Of course, I wasn't complaining. I had wanted him to leave me alone. I had. I did.

I couldn't deny, though, that some part of me wanted him to talk to me. Maybe that was just the really, really stupid part of me. I had told him not to talk to me, after all, or at least made it clear that I didn't want him to.

I closed the back door when Jack and Cookie came back inside, not wanting to let any more cold air inside the house. Cookie and Jack ran into the living room to play, her high pitched bark echoing around the silent house. I sat on the couch, finishing off my cereal in the living room so that I could see them and make sure Jack didn't accidentally hurt Cookie. Most of my day was spent doing absolutely nothing except sitting around with my dogs and doing nothing while watching TV. The only time I got up off of the couch was to go to the bathroom or get something else to eat or drink, but that was it.

It was a little after twelve AM when I heard a knock on the front door, causing me to pause. Jack jumped up from the floor, beginning to bark very loudly at the sound of the knock. I sighed deeply, wondering who the fuck was at my door at twelve AM. I mean, what the hell? I shushed Jack, pushing up onto my toes to try to peek through the peep hole to see who was outside. However, it was too dark. I frowned, pushing the switch to try to turn on the porch light, but the bulb never lit. It must've died out and I hadn't noticed. Damn it.

I frowned, looking over at Jack as he stood over by Cookie and stared right back at me, waiting to see if I was going to open the door or not. Honestly, I was too. Was I really about to do what every dumb person in a horror movie did right before they got slaughtered to death? Did I really want to open the door, or even think that it was a good idea? No, to both parts of that question. Absolutely not. In fact, I thought it was quite a stupid idea. That being said, I have no idea or excuse as to why I grabbed the doorknob, unlocked it, and then flung it open anyways. I mean, I had just confirmed that it was probably not at all a good idea to open the front door to someone who was knocking at twelve AM, especially since I couldn't see who it was. But I still opened it.

Before I even had a chance to see who it was, a pair of soft lips collided with mine.

I screamed and shoved the person, who I still hadn't looked at yet, away from me and my hand formed itself into a fist. I couldn't stop myself from taking said fist and ramming it directly into the person's nose, all while I still continued screaming in terror. A groan of pain left their lips. "Fuck, Leila! What the fuck?!" A male voice growled, sounding both pissed and hurt. I began freaking out some more, yelling incoherent things while I fumbled for the light switch to the living room. Then, it dawned on me that he'd just said my name. "Stalker!" I cried in conclusion, my head spinning in a panic as I grabbed the doorknob and went to slam the door shut.