Be My Eyes

I jumped before opening my eyes and looking down. A ray of sun shone down on a flower that was unlike the blue flowers, this one was yellow and had a face. I blinked at it when Papyrus suddenly spoke.

"We aren't lost Flowey, we're just walking through."

'Flowey' looked at Papyrus startled.

"Papyrus? Boy you look awful, did you get smaller?" He cackled and I frowned, this flower wasn't very nice.

"Hey stop that, we're just passing through there's no need to make fun of us." The flower whistled at me.

"Spunky. You don't look like the type to fall for 'The Great Papyrus' are you his new adopted sister?" He asked tauntingly and I felt something damp on my sleeve.

Papyrus was crying, at first I had thought it was blood but then remembered that Papyrus's eyes were orange not red and we were in shadows.

"Knock it off before I stomp on you!" I growled at the flower and it just looked at my leg and then my face.

"Oh yeah? And how are you going to do that? Gimpy!" They snorted and I let go of Papyrus to go and jump on that stupid flower's face. But Papyrus held me back, drew himself up and started walking past Flowey.

"Hey! Where are you going?"'the shrieking flower spoke but I followed Papy's lead and just ignored him.

Suddenly though something grabbed my bad leg and yanked me back making me yell.

Papy stumbled back almost falling over.

"It'S Rude To Leave Without Saying GoodBye!" A demon like voice came from Flowey's mouth as I landed on larger green vines that hadn't been on the ground before.

They wrapped around my arms and leg tightly making me bite my lip to keep from crying out.

"I Said Howdy, D**** It!" He swore at the stumbling skeleton. A vine sprouted from the ground.

"PAPY DUCK!" I yelled and he dropped to the ground just as the vine whipped past. The flower growled at me,turning me to face him. My eyes widened.

His face looked like ink had been smeared over his original face.

"You, ShutUp!" He yelled at me and a vine wrapped around my throat making me gasp.

"P-Pap!"

"Shut Up!" Flower shrieked at me again.

The flowers around Papy's eyes flashed Orange and he dashed towards Flowey. The flower just barely saw him coming and ducked underground. A bone glowing orange was in Papyrus's hand and he slashed the vines underneath me like a sword causing them to split in half.

I gasped for air as the vine fell from around me and Papyrus's bone disappeared as he caught me and set me down gently.

"Are you ok?" He asked as I caught my breath.

"I-I'm ok." I stuttered as he pat my back before I straightened.

"Papy are you sure you can't see? It took me years to be able to do that." I told him but he shook his head.

"I can still see, but not like normal. Thanks to some magic in me I can see living thing's, black figures outlined in orange."

I stared at him in amazement. "I see, so if Flowey had a rock in front of him." I inquired and he sighed.

"I would have ate dirt." He said simply and I giggled a little.

"Well I'm glad that's over."

"Let's go before he comes back." He told me and I nodded. He slung my arm over his shoulder again and we made our way farther down the tunnel.

When we broke through the dark tunnel we came to a hallway. It was dimly lit and stretched on for what seemed like forever. I stopped and sighed, the end looked so far away.

"What's wrong? Are we out of the cave?" He asked as I pulled my arm from around his shoulders and sat down.

"We're in a hallway, but it seems like it goes on forever!"

Papyrus straightened up and brushed his coat.

"Alright then, let's get started!" He smiled and looked over in my direction.

I blinked at him, he was so positive when I was sure he was exhausted. But I smiled back and got up again.

"Sorry if I'm slowing you down Papyrus." I bit my lip. I thought I'd be helping him, but I just got in the way when dealing with flowey.

"Don't be ridiculous (Y/n)!" He said a bit louder than expected and it made me jump. Papyrus hadn't seem to notice though.

"You're my eyes, I'm your legs! We are a team, let's not focus on how weak we are and focus on our strengths!"

I smiled at him again, he was right.

"Thanks Papy." I told him a bit shocked. He's volume varied above ground, and he acted so serious and awkward.

Now he was getting louder, but much more talkative and childlike. I liked it.
It was as if someone had pulled a dusty blanket off of Papyrus. Something told me, this was how the tall skeleton was supposed to act.

This also made me a bit sad. I knew the world had a tendency to dull people's minds so they didn't shine as bright anymore but I guess it affected Monsters more than Humans.

I looked at Papy not sure if I should ask about Toriel and Asriel. What were they like before coming above ground?

"You have a question?" Papyrus asked making me jump once more, but this time I was yanked from my thoughts.

"Huh? How did you know?" I asked puzzled. When I couldn't see I knew when people were lying, but not when they had a silent question.

"You're staring at me," Papy laughed. "so you must obviously have a question."
I sighed.

"Well, Papyrus..what was Asriel and Toriel like before the under ground?" I asked making him pause. This had seemed to upset him just as it upset me.

"Asriel wasn't here before we went above ground.. Toriel was quite closed off, but above ground she kept in touch with everyone, she's..The only reason we all haven't lost contact. We're so different from one another. I hadn't realized before that we would end up leaving to different places." He sighed as we walked a little further in silence, but I didn't say anything so he continued.

"I, honestly thought we'd live in the same big house, have different jobs that didn't take us far from home and live happily." His expression darkened.
"It was pretty stupid to think that. Now that I've seen above ground." My eyes widened.

"But...why didn't you go back underground?" I asked. He just shook his head.

"It wouldn't be the same, we all knew that. Above ground has changed us (Y/n), I don't think we could live our lives down here anymore, too many nightmares. Gaster is a nightmare Sans and I share. Flowey is Asriel's, you couldn't pay him to come back down here for all the money in the world." He told me seriously and I sighed.

"I'm so sorry Papyrus." I spoke softly before he just shook his head.

"We knew when we left the underground that no one would come back, not by choice." He chuckled a bit nervously.

"Course, I didn't expect this to happen really." He told me and we almost ran into a wall.

We'd been so distracted talking that we hadn't realized that we had reached the end of the tunnel.

"Papy stop!" I told him holding him back from smacking into the wall.

"What is it?" He asked a bit dazed from the sudden stop and me calling his name.

"We reached the end of the hall, we almost ran into a wall." I explained when he suddenly laughed.

"Nyehehehehe. Looks like we need a new pair of eyes." He teased and I playfully bopped his head.

"Hey, I'm still getting used to this!" I cried in defense but ended up laughing.
We went through a door that lead to another hallway.

Papyrus distracted me as we walked and I suddenly didn't even feel the injury in my leg anymore, limping on it felt more like walking now. Papyrus was right, I was his eyes, he was my legs, and we were a team.