Chapter 5

Darnell's POV

As I step off the VTOL, which me and Huy find out the proper name is bullhead from Ozpin and Goodwitch tell us. Me and Huy took a look at our surroundings and find out we're on a cliff the watches over the forest. We see these pads at the edge of the cliff I look towards Ozpin "Um sir what are doing here? Thought we were to be dropped off in the base of the forest."

"Not exactly Darnell this method shows us how fast you can think to cause yourself less harm in situations you can't control and how you can recover." He says with a smile, I take a second look at the pads and get a bad feeling.

Huy walks up to them to expect them and starts to sweat a little " I don't like this Darnell, I'm not liking this one bit man."

Miss Goodwitch walks up to Huy " Please if you would Mr. Nguyen and Mr. Pearson, could you step onto the launch pads."

She did not say what I think she said right? Are they gonna really launch us off the cliff? Wish the others would've told us about this man.

Ozpin moves towards the cliff "Now boys as I said before we will be broadcasting your performance to the others back at beacon." as he says this a flock of drones show from below the cliffside, they seem to have cameras on them. "This is how we will monitor your progress and show everyone your worth. Now get ready now and double check everything now before we send you off."

I check my SMGs and make sure they're loaded and check my extra clips in my jacket and the pockets on my pants as well. I put them back in their holsters and check my gloves. I might be able to use hand to hand combat with the grimm if they get too close. I look over at Huy and he does the same with his pistol and checks his blade for anything and sheathes it and we both step on the pads. I look towards Ozpin and speak "Sir do we get a parachute or anything?"

He chuckles "No Darnell, you two will come up with your own landing strategy, just like everyone else."

I feel a pit form in my stomach "Your kidding ri-" before I can finish I'm launched off into the forest "FUUUCCKKKKKKKK!!" I start to panic and freak out as I'm flying through the air. I hear Huy get launched and hear him do his own set of curses as he flies off and breaks away from me. I start second guessing myself but remember what Huy said to me before we left beacon. I can't let him down, he needs me to watch his back. I try to calm myself down as hard as it seems, it doesn't help that I'm starting to decend into the forest. I feel energy go throughout my whole body. I remeber how everyone here has done some impossible things and have there own abilities. I try my luck and reach out to grab on a tree and sure enough I make contact with the tree... but my momentum drives me straight through the tree. I think fast and prepare myself for hitting the ground and hit the ground.

I hit the ground floor with a large impact and make a tiny crater in the grass. As the dirt settles down back to the ground I check my surroundings before dusting myself off. I'm barely hurt from any of that. I'm shocked from all this but come to remember what Pyrrha told me about our auras and what not. It seems that I'm more resistant with how I am now because any normal person would surely be dead from this impact, especially since I went through a FUCKING TREE. I calm myself down taking deep breaths and relax. I come to my senses and remember my reason for being here in the first place. Gotta find those chess pieces, I heard Ozpin tell Huy we have to look for some ruins and we'll find them.

I start moving forward only hoping Huy made it safe with getting in the forest nonetheless on the ground. I'm broken out of my thoughts as I hear movement behind me. I immediately take out my guns and turn around and check behind me. I see red eyes in the shrubbery staring into my brown ones, from what I can expect to be grimm walks out cautiously from the forest and into my view. It looks like a large wolf but with bones assorted around it's body as if it's armor, it starts to snarl at me showing it's fangs. I keep my cool and play it safe, but this bastard ain't alone. Just then a whole pack encircles me, surrounding me. I see the drone above me keeping a birds eye view. I speak out loud " Well Darnell spotlight is on ya now, it's up to you to show them your resolve." As I say this one of them from behind decides to make his move on me first.