Chapter 55

Darnell's POV

I wake up with a hangover from all the drinking I did once Niloh fell asleep. Flashbacks of Pyrrha's face.... and everyone else's once Xandra kissed me sends waves of regret through my body. I betrayed her trust and cheated on her. I'm a mess and I keep going on hoping at some point it makes sense to me. I walk into the bathroom in the room I'm sharing with Xandra and a little bed for Niloh. I look at the person I'm currently am.... I hate myself "She loved you... and went against your own rules and morals.... for self gain." I slam my fist into the mirror and I cry for what I've done to Pyrrha. "You gave them all hope just to ruin what you helped build!"

I yell at myself to let everything out but I hear little feet walk up to the door and it opens slowly "Ms. Karma? Are you okay?"

I wipe my eyes "Y-Yeah.... I'm ok."

She walks closer "No... you were crying, do you want a hug?"

This sweet little girl... I need to find a way to get her safely out of this situation "I told you I'm ok Niloh, nothing is wrong just tired and..."

"And what?"

"Just.... would you still he friends with if I had secrets? Like big secrets."

She thinks a bit "I love you Ms. Karma, you saved me and made me happy and I want to help you."

I stare at her in confusion.... "Well.... I have some pretty bad secrets.... and I love you too."

She gets happy and runs to me and hugs my legs and I scratch behind her ears "If I tell you.... you have to promise to not tell anyone."

"Yes I won't tell anybody!" She makes a little motion of zipping her mouth close.

"Do you know the hunter Darnell Pearson?"

"You mean the one from that big school? Mommie used to talk about him, saying he was blamed for something but I don't know what. She said he was very strong! Like super strong!"

I shush her so she doesn't wake Xandra "Yeah that's the one, he's actually a cool guy and I want you to meet him some day."

"Really?!"

I hear shuffling from the bed and Xandra wakes up "What you guys doing in there?"

"Nothing just talking to Niloh."

She runs off to Xandra "I was just helping Ms. Karma because she was crying."

Xandra looks at me and back at Niloh "Why don't you go get some breakfast while I help Karma?"

"You promise to make her smile again Xandra?"

"I pinky promise!"

They pinky promise and Niloh runs out the room giggling in excitement for food. She walks up to me and grabs my hand sees glass in my skin "You still love her huh?"

I can't look at her as she asks "I know it hurts Darnell... but I'm the one who's here for you and I love just as much as she does."

She hugs me "Would it feel better if you went back to normal?"

"Back into a man?"

"Yes."

"But what about Niloh?"

"I heard what you were about to say, I'm sure if I show her magic she'll somewhat understand even though she's young."

We let go and we walk to the mess hall since we have pajamas on since Niloh insisted in sleeping in our room "You're heading to Atlas, your daughters stole the Intel they needed to attempt to find your armor. You must prevent them from finding it."