Chapter 4

-VALERIE'S P.O.V-

    Anyone else, anyone else, I could easily fool. But not Ninfa. Not my wife.
    This. This... this thing has me so stressed.
    My daughter punched my wife in the eye in her sleep. It wouldn't be so bad if she would heal. But she's not.
    She's not healing and it terrifies me. So while she sleeps, I'm just laying here, hoping maybe if I try hard enough that I could help heal her. But then I stop myself every time I start to use my magic because I know she would be upset with me.
    In all honesty, I don't find Emma guilty in any way. She's 3. 3 and was asleep. She didn't know better.
    So I did willingly cover Ninfa's eye with magic because if Emma sees what she did, she will probably be really upset with herself. Now Ninfa and I know not to let anyone get in a fist fight with Emma. Kickboxing fight with our other kids, Emma with fists.
    I do remember Dakota hitting her once. But it healed instantly. Emma's punch isn't healing. Well, it is. At a human snailrate.
    It's not the only fear taken hold of me this night. One that I fear far too much. Losing this baby.
    I saw so much fear in Ninfa's eyes. The teal showed so much of it, it scared me to even think of what crossed her mind for it. But I know now.
    If I lost this child, I would lose myself. I don't think I could take it again. I don't think I would survive it.
    And the thought that Emma could possibly do that. It may be an accident but it doesn't make me feel any better. I would still love Emma the same, it wouldn't change. But I just wouldn't be the same person.
    I get Ninfa's point of view. I do. If Emma could punch with magic enough to actually bruise and cause a pure angel pain, she could probably do some damage on anyone. Including me.
    But she clings onto Ninfa and Ninfa clings onto her as if nothing even happened. I hold them both in my arms as we cuddle and they sleep. Worry is keeping me up, even though I am massively tired.
   I do fall asleep after a little bit. With a timer set in the stopped time. Sleep is golden to me, right now more than anything.

    My world is shifted from under me. The scenes change so much and to a rather familiar place. I love this place. It's always nice a peaceful.
    The way the grass changes under your feet. And the sound of the wind go in between the branches of the big white oak tree. It always brings me peace to visit these lands.
    A force shoves me against the tree so fast that I can't see what it is. Images flash before me. Feelings take over.
    A hand digging into my stomach makes me cry out in pain but also pleading no. No.. no..
"Val.. Come back to me. It's not real."
    Her voice. Her.. Ninfa's voice..
"Your home is in my arms, my love. Come back to me."
    The image before me, the pain from my stomach. They fade slowly. My fears slowly dim with them.
"Come back to me."
"My home is in your arms."

     A thumb wipes across my cheek. I open my eyes to nothing but worry set in hers. I hate seeing her so worried.
"I..I'm sorry."
"It was just a bad dream. You came back to me. It's all that matters."
"I didn't mean to worry you."
"It's okay. I just wish you didn't go there."
"I ca.."
"You can't control it, I know. I know. It's okay. It's okay."
"Did.. Did I wake you?"
"No. Yes and no. I was almost awake before you really got into the dream."
"I'm sorry.."
"Don't. And don't go back there. There's no reason to."
"I..I.. I'll try not to?"
   She leans in and kisses my forehead. "It's okay. We're passed that. And we are in this together."
"You always save me.."
"Because I owe you my life more than a million times over."
"You don't owe me."
"Agree to disagree. I will take your dreams away just to keep you safe."
"Despite the nightmare. I'm really tired."
"You didn't necessarily sleep well."
"Y..Yeah."
     Her lips find mine for a short moment. A soft and gentle moment that I can feel every ounce of her love that is given. And she has me in smiles by the time it parts.
"Mission accomplished."
     I roll my eyes. "Ass."
"Why don't we rest a little longer?"
    Almost as if her words are a key to the door of sleep, I fall. This time it seems different. This time I don't dream.