Chapter 49

-NINFA'S P.O.V-

    Everything is so ...wonderful. I thought that being a grandmother would make me feel old. Or older. But it hasn't.
    Fiona and Elijah are absolutely beautiful. Both identical. And both look the best features of Charley and the best features of Dakota.
"I didn't expect to have such a big attraction." Charley says, looking around.
"Would you like us to go?"
"Nooo. I mean like family. I didn't expect to have a big family."
    Charley's cat, Mustachio, curls up between the twins that are now laid on a giant pillow in the middle of the room. Charley sits behind them, watching over them while also getting a movie on for the rest of the family. She is already a better parent than her own were.
"Why is Dakota still sleeping?" Emma asks, looking up at the bed.
"She's just tired, Em. She'll wake up when she's got her strength again."
"Oh." Emma says and frowns.
    Emma loves Dakota. She loves Finnley. She loves Jason. I think Emma and Dakota have the same size heart. Far too much love Emma holds.
    But I'm proud of my loves no matter what. Even if it is sleeping for 19 hours straight. I mean... Valerie did months.. so..
    Just another kids movie. While all of us are cuddling around the new additions to the family. Having kids of my own was the best thing I can say I have ever created and it gave me this.
"Who do you think falls asleep first?"
"Seriously?"
"Yeah. Play with me."
"You mean the kids?"
"I mean everyone."
"Oh. Joel will leave before falling asleep. Emma will fall asleep after Jason. And Charley won't last 30 minutes after Emma is out."
"How are you certain?"
"Hunch."
"Uh-huh. How about saying that to Charley."
    With her words I turn to look at Charley. Asleep. But looks ready to spring to action.
"You already knew before asking."
"No. She fell asleep like right as you said your bet."
"Then it's invalid, asshole."
"Damnit."
"Don't play me, babe."
"I genuinely can't remember if I said this. But. You did good today."
"I'm not sure if you said that either. But thank you. I just did what had to be done."
"I could have, you know?"
"But I know you wanted to be able to heal her. Even if you didn't actually get to."
    The doctors at the hospitals are idiots. It seems like when it comes to extremely bloody situations, they freeze. The woman did one stitch and it looked like a 3 year old tried to draw inside the coloring lines of a color book.
    It pissed me off. Massively. It really did.
    It seems like the doctors go through one lesson of stitching and call it done before on to the next lesson. I get it, that a hard to do with everything else coming at you with medical school. I get that. But if you are to only learn it once, make sure you pay attention.
    I'm glad that Valerie will have them trained over it again. No doubt she will make the whole world's doctors do that. But I'm glad.
    I feel slightly bad. Slightly. I might have scared the piss out of Dakota's doctor. But I had no choice.
    Either watch this doctor fuck up and make Dakota lose more blood. Or step in and stitch her quickly so Valerie could heal her. One or 2 choices and one of them lead to my daughter possibly not being with us.
    But even if Valerie didn't get the heal, she is still a hero. Of course she won't ever tell anyone but she did heal Charley. Charley causing herself a brain hemorrhage. Or several.
    An angel to have such magic is rare. Like one to ever have healing that strong. Which is me. And I haven't really tried.
    There are things I couldn't heal. Venom, or I would have when Valerie was downed. Healing small things with our children, but then again, very small things because of Valerie's protections. I haven't been given the chance to really extend my full healing.
    Charley unlocked hers. I guess the fear of being alone and raising their children without a mother was a big reason. And true love.
    If Charley hasn't been human before changing, she probably would be just like any other angel. Instead she has a hidden strength. It can be helpful. Very helpful.
    But at the end of the day, Valerie is my hero. Letting me sleep while she takes care of the twins for Charley and Dakota. Being the selfless hero she is.
"You're right. As usual. Just wanted to help in other ways I could."
"Hero down to the last breath."
"Maybe a yawn."
    I nuzzle my face into her arms. "If only the kids would sleep and then life would be great for napping."
"I could stop time."
"That sounds perfect, actually."
    She does stop time. Everything peaceful. Quiet. And perfectly warm.
"I wonder if they'll need our help once she's awake."
"I highly doubt it, Val. Charley managed rather well on her own. With Dakota too, I'm sure they could handle well."
"I suppose you're right."
     Her warmth always drives me to the edge of sleep. And this time it pushes me over. I fall asleep in her arms.

    I wake to movement. A lot of little movement. I open my eyes to Valerie. Moving.
     Somehow she has Emma's mattress in here and Jason's. Right next to each other. Misty protects them.
"I didn't meant to wake you. I just don't want everyone to be knocking into one another while sleeping."
"I guess it's a camping trip in Dakota's room?"
"Yeah. Finnley and Zack just changed the twins for me."
    Looking around, I see Finnley and Zack on one side of the room with the twins and the cradles set up. Charley is now in bed. Mustachio, Leo and Frankenstein protect the twins. Misty keeping close eye on them too as she protects Emma and Jason.
     Joel seems to be gone. But everyone else is here. Big family. Showing support for the ones whom need it.
"We can rest again. I think. I think I got everyone situated."
    She climbs on the giant pillow and wraps her arms around me. I nuzzle into her chest. Letting her suffocate me while warming.
"Dakota's energy is almost completely back. She should have woken though."
"You're worried?"
"Of course I am."
"I am too. But we just have to wait."
     She sighs but holds me close. I feel myself falling again.

     I wake before any one else does. Even Valerie. Who is out like a light. It's cute.
     I make a few bottles and get ready to change the twins.
"Ma?"
     Her voice stops me. And I can't help but smile.
"Hey babygirl."
"Wow.. Everyone is here.." she whispers.
"Mhm."
     She makes her way up. Slowly. Worry builds up quickly.
"Any pain?"
"No. Just.. feels weird."
"What do you mean?"
"It feels weird being able to see my feet."
     I laugh at this. Yeah. I know how she feels.
      A slow stroll over to me and the twins and she sits down in front of them.
"They're more beautiful than I had imagined."
"They're perfect."
"That's so weird. That's sooooo weird. Did it feel weird after you had birth? Like us being out here instead of blocking your vision and making you feel like a whale?"
     A small laughter comes from Valerie. And I laugh too. Mainly cause I would say I was fat. Never went far to say whale, but she did.
"It's nice to see you awake, babygirl."
"Guess I'd have you to thank for that."
"I wish I could take the credit. But I didn't heal you. Charley did."
"What? That's like impossible. She would have died.. And she's fine.. isn't she?"
"She's good. Tired. But good. It was all her."
    Dakota lightly brushes her fingers over each baby's cheek. In a sync motion, they lean into her touch. I'm probably smiling like a damn idiot.
     I remember so many times we would do this to our kids. And each time they would do the same. It's just... this is different.. it's my grandchildren..
    I've never been more proud. I've never seen Dakota smile so widely. Even when she was a little kid. Never.
    It's amazing. It's beautiful. And I know the feeling she holds. The one of pure awe. One where you can't believe you made this.
    Valerie curls up in the couch next to me. We watch over Dakota. Her watching over her babies.
    It's a feeling I've never felt so strong before. The happiness. It feels nice.
"You haven't stopped smiling since I woke. Or maybe it was from before."
"Think you were special?"
     She rolls her eyes. "Of course not."
"You are. But I was smiling because I'm happy. It's just a really strong happiness. To see her so in awe."
"Like you had done with our others."
"And you."
"Yeah. I did same."
"It's just a peaceful happy."
"That sadly ends with me having to work in about an hour."
"Wait, what? You said you wouldn't go."
"The southern territories need things to actually live, Nin. I can't just neglect them because of this. Plus, she's awake. And it's summer, so she has you. And you're a far better mother than I ever was or am."
"That's not true. Our children love you. And you know they do."
"I know."
    I lean over and kiss her cheek. Letting the silence sink in as she holds me. Not wanting her to go to work but I may not have a choice.
    That's the thing about summer, I don't have a job to keep me from missing Valerie. I just have our bed and all the possible ways you can sleep. Which is a lot to be honest.
    But I don't mind spending my day in this happy environment. It's peaceful. Loving. And perfect.