Chapter 39

-CHARLEY'S P.O.V-

    I feel terrible for getting mad at Dakota. But she is the most stubbornest person ever. Even if she just wanted to help.
    She has got a giant heart. A reason I love her. And with her giant heart, she always tries to help... even if you plead she doesn't.
    I got mad because I asked a simple thing. I got mad because she seriously is worrying the fuck out of me. She has morning sickness and she's not suppose to. Or maybe not. I don't know.
    I feel bad but I apologized. And now she cuddles as close as she can as she sleeps. I hold onto her tightly.
    Excited to find out my children's sex. Really excited. I want to know so badly.
     It's interesting, honestly. I'm so worried about everything to do with Dakota but yet I'm so ready to know who our babies are. Our twins.
    There is no history of twins in my family. So I have no idea how... or I could be that good but I doubt it.
    Life is all by chance. But each thing always happens for a reason. Fate.
     So Dakota and I were suppose to have twins. Or maybe we weren't but it doesn't mean I won't love them any less. And I do, I do love them very much.
    My mind has gone a little crazy. Between building our house and then moving and furnishing. And tomorrow we find out their genders and then go shopping to get things for them. Can't ask Valerie to summon everything. So... shopping.
     Dakota is right in a lot of ways. It doesn't feel real. Her being pregnant. Us being parents.
    The only reason is because it was a surprise. The possibility of her getting pregnant were none. And then her mom was weakened and I guess that raised the possibility to low. But it still happened.
     So. It doesn't feel real because it was a surprise. But now that Dakota has truly accepted it. I think she actually wants this.
     At first.. I feared she didn't want this. But I would have stood beside her the whole way.
    I'm glad she chose this path. I'm going to love our kids with all my heart. I'm going to be a better parent than my own parents were to me. I promise myself that I will.
    The spinning of my head finally gives me a break. I fall asleep with my love in my arms. Ready for tomorrow.

     Pain. Extreme pain. Why?
"I didn't mean to.. I can.."
"No.."
    She takes my pain away anyway. Even if I told her not to. And it results in her running..
    I'm fast behind her. Pulling her hair carefully back.
"I told you not to."
"I.. had.."
"You didn't." I sigh. "You didn't. It's okay. I would have been okay."
    She falls against me after she's done. I hold onto her tightly.
"They really don't like me using my magic, do they?"
"It makes me worry. We are going shopping after but I don't want you floating."
"Floating is my second natural ability. Along with flying. They don't take up energy unless I change form..sort of."
    I use my healing. Anyway I can. Just to take away any pain I can if she has any.
"I'm sorry."
"For?"
"Kicking you."
"We did have to get up. So. And you do it like once a week."
"Ma does it to mom like every other day."
"Oh jeez. Please. Please. Never. I don't want to die."
    She sighs. "Can we shower? I feel gross. And bad. And fat."
"You're not fat. But best we shower."
     We shower. And get ready to go. Her parents join us cause she asked them to.
    Everything is in slow motion up to this moment.
"A mother of twins in supernatural beings is rather rare. Only ones whom are known to hold more than one child are the wolves."
    I don't understand what the shit she means. Or even why. I know it's not exactly possible. But it happened. And they're there.
"Alright. Do you wish to know your children's genders?"
"Yes." Dakota speaks before I have the chance.
    The doctor smiles at the monitor. Confusion takes me over. I don't understand why she would be smiling? And in a creepy fashion.
"Looks like you are the parents of the best of both worlds." She turns the screen to us. Moving her hand just barely over Dakota's stomach.
    On the right side... "Your son. He's going to be a big boy." And on the left. "Your daughter. She's going to be rather big as well. I need to do a few more of these tests to show growth rate. The possibility for one to grow more faster than the other is unreliable because you're the first to have twins as angel or demon or supernatural."
"Would it cause any harm to them?" I speak in Dakota's silence... silence of maybe shock.
"I am not sure. As I said, I need to keep checking over time. My hope is that they grow equally."
"And if they don't?"
"Well that option is momma's to make."
    Dakota closes her eyes and sighs. "What are the other risks to this?"
"Apart from growth rates, you seem good and so do they. I just have to keep checking that one doesn't out grow the other by a big percent."
"What do you mean exactly?" Valerie cuts in.
"Both are given the same treatment in her womb but the occurrence of one growing bigger than the other could be at risk. The larger baby would consume more than the smaller, which would leave the smaller to struggle on getting the minerals it needs."
"Is there anything I can physically do?"
"No, Dakota. I am sorry. But the risks of this aren't known. Don't stress over it. It may be a lot lower than we think. Checking again within the next month may help knock the number in place."
"Do you recommend anything to help? Like foods and stuff?"
"I will give you a worksheet list." The doctor says to me. Then turns back to my very worried wife. "I plead that you do not stress. Just because we don't know the number right now, doesn't mean it can't be good. It's a 50/50. When we check again we will have a more accurate percent for you."
    The doctor finishes her work. And hands us paperwork lists as we take our leave. I'm excited for boy and girl but worried.
"Is it me? Am I the problem?"
"No. Of course not. Absolutely not. You're perfect."
"Then why do I have this risk? Why do they? Is it cause I had drank in the first month without knowing I actually was pregnant?"
"No. I highly doubt that. It's not you, D."
"I checked, babygirl. Your twins were fine and still are. I wouldn't worry too much about it." Valerie kisses Dakota's forehead. "You should rest."
"Okay." Dakota says.
    Her parents leave us in the bridge between the houses. I lift her into my arms and carry her to our room.
"I'm scared.."
"I know, baby. I know." I lay her down on the bed and pull her into my arms as I lay next to her.
"What if it happens? What if one does outgrow? And I have to choose? I wouldn't be able to."
"I know. I don't think it's going to happen though. They're exactly the same right now. I know you're scared but I don't think you should let it get to you."
"Too late. I don't want to lose either."
    The pain of everything.. all the emotions.. I have been hiding..
"Being honest, okay?"
     She looks up to me and nods. I can feel tears form already. I take a deep breath and release all the feelings I can find words to express.
"I'm terrified. I'm terrified, D. I'm so scared. It's no longer the possibility of losing you. It's losing you and our children. You're all I have. I wanted kids. And I do. But when your mom had Jason and nearly died. A few times. I started freaking out little by little. I'm excited we are having twins. A boy and a girl. I'm just terrified I could lose all of you in one moment. I love them and I love you but I'm terrified. I don't want to lose you or them. I don't want to have you and not them or them and not you."
"I'm not going to leave you."
"You might not have a choice. It might not be a fight that you can literally fight."
"I won't leave you unless I'm forced. I won't leave our children. I promise."
"You know you can't promise that."
"I'm scared because I could lose one child while you're scared because you could lose all 3 of us. I'm sorry. I wish you would have told me."
"I didn't want to make you stress. It's okay. It's fine. We can deal with this when the bridges comes to walk on."
"Can we nap? We can shop later. I just want to nap."
"We can."
"Hold me?"
    I pull her as close as she can get to me. She nuzzles in.
"Forever."
"Forever." She whispers as she falls asleep.
    She needs the rest. After the shocking afternoon. It sucks. It truly sucks.
   It's wonderful to know they're not and girl. I've always wanted a big family and with Dakota and the rest of her family, I have one. But adding to it makes me happy.
    I'm always going to have that fear haunt me. And I have a feeling that the next month or so is going to be stressful. But the second we know the chances.. maybe we can relax.. or plan.....
    I don't want to lose my wife. I don't want to lose my kids. But it's all so uncertain.
    Sleep takes me hard. As it usually does. And I fall asleep with my wife tightly held in my arms. I love her far too much.