Chapter Three

Hardly a second after she had registered the demonic presence, the sound of panic and destruction hit like a shockwave. Wasting no time, Kori, Donna and Raven rushed in the direction of the noise, switching to their alter egos. Dodging panicking civilians, the titans pushed their way towards the commotion, only to freeze in horror at the scene before them.

Four humanoid creatures stood, with skin the colour of blood and eyes of hellfire. All decked out in dark armour and menacing expressions. And with them were two assassins. Humans: judging by Raven's ability to sense auras. Adorned with drawn katanas, masked faces and large cowls -a visual representation of impending doom. What was worse, was that it wasn't the demons against the humans; it was the humans and the three demons against one of their own.

The sight of that one devil-spawn struck Raven back out of shock. The lone demon was being cornered, his eyes darting frantically to-and-fro, searing for a means of escape. Stance defensive with his twin blades raised, the demon's eyes met Raven's, receiving a look of assurance on her part. 

"Starfire, Wondergirl.", she said, drawing their attention immediately.

Kori and Donna turned to her with questioning stares.

"Raven,", Starfire demanded in her 'team leader' voice, "What is going on?"

The violet-eyed hero's eyes flittered to the scene of conflict where she caught sight of the cornered demon barely avoiding the macabre blades of the assassins as a katana slices though the air where his head formerly was.

She looked back at the heroes in front of her, "The one being cornered is good, just attack the others. Trust me. There is no time, he won't last long."

Without a second word, Raven flew in to the fray, blasting a demon that would have impaled her in milliseconds. Needing no further explanations, and not being offered any, Wondergirl and Starfire jumped in to action- doing what superheroes do best.

Defending those in need (even if it did happen to be a creature straight out of hell).

And at that moment, a fiery sphere of demonic magic spewed at least fifteen more of their current 'enemies'.

  "Holy Azar..."

*****

Damian and Jon ran to the centre of the commotion at the same time as Garfield and Jaime. All of them had transformed in to their superhero selves- even Robin, though no one knew how he had managed it given his lack of powers. The son of Batman surveyed the fight before him, coming to a conclusion in moments.

"Alright, we need to take out these assailants. But do not attack the demon in the middle.", he ordered the others, who easily followed his instructions (after working alongside the new Robin, one learned to trust in his instincts and skills of observation).

The male members of the titans leapt in to the chaos, taking out an abundance of the opposition. The months of training they had taken part in was paying off: they acted near harmoniously -defending and attacking with practiced precision.

Damian dropped to the ground, swiping out the legs of one of the supposed assassins before driving his katana through the person's shoulder, eliciting a sharp cry from them. Robin jumped up, only to avoid a lengthy demonic sword that would have impaled him. Wasting no time, Damian side-kicked his would-be killer in the head, rendering the attacker unconscious. Which left him with just enough time to tackle the man about to slice Donna's head off, and to continue pondering why ex League of Assassin members would work alongside demons. 

After all, there was much lost love between them.

*****

Swiftly, after the arrival of the rest of the titans, most of the adversaries were gone, having fled through the portal, clutching wounds and dragging others in with them. It appeared that they didn't want to leave anyone behind- most likely so that they weren't interrogated.

However as the seven superheroes (and demon) had the last five opponents backed up towards the swirling abyss of fire, four of them bounded backwards, disappearing from view. Raven resisted the urge to growl in frustration: there was only one of them left, a human, if she could only close that damned portal...but try as she might, her magic wouldn't shut it down. All her resolve as a sorceress did nought, only deepening the hole of desperation inside her.

As if sensing her thoughts, the masked assassin turned towards her. The witch could feel the person smiling, the unnaturally faint aura surrounding him/her was unnerving, to say in the least. 

The atmosphere heavy with tension, the Titans waited in silence, daring the individual to make a wrong move. To the perturbment off all, the assassin cocked his/her head in Robin's direction.

In an inhumane, gravelly, yet undeniably feminine voice, she uttered venomously, "It is coming. We are coming.", her head sharply jerked to look at Raven.

"Your wake-up call is here."

And with that, she threw herself in to the portal, cackling.

Like she had a pail of water chucked at her, Raven snapped in to action, pivoting to scrutinise the demon who's arse they just saved.

"Adyn, what happened?"

A.N

I hope you liked that chapter and aren't too mad at me for the cliff hanger *fingers crossed*.  May I also just say that the amount of reads on this story is crazy! We're only on the second chapter and have gone past 90?! This is crazy!

Thanks!

XXX

-Bats :)