Chapter Twenty-Three

"I don't understand, this country has its own council, why have they not dealt with this issue?", Adyn looked between Raven and Damian, searching for a response.

"What council?", Damian's father asked, almost mimicking Adyn in the way that he searched for answers.

Damian sighed, knowing fully well what was to happen.
There was no way that he could keep all his secrets, if they were to get through these times. Meeting the gaze of his closest friend, Damian exhaled, portraying his defeat.

Turning to Bruce, The Robin confessed, "It would be best if we explained to everyone- about...", he searched for the correct term.

"Our kind?", Raven offered.

Damian inclined his head, "Our kind and the others."

"That would save confusion.", Adyn commented, nodding his head in Damian's direction.

Raven added, "Given the situation, it would be best if we did disclose such information."

Bruce nodded his head at the trio, feigning understanding, "I'll arrange it."

Seeing that as a dismissal, Damian left without so much as a word, stalking past his father with a shoulder and countenance akin to that of ice. Concern in her heart, indifference worn on her face, Raven followed after Damian, intending to have a few words with him.

Not wanting to be left alone with the Batman in the Bat cave, Adyn ran after her.

Bruce stood alone. Running a hand down his face wearily, the Batman took controlled breaths, inhaling and exhaling steadily.Unfolding his arms, Bruce held them steadily by his side, barely reeling in his emotions. Clenching and unclenching his jaw, he continued breathing slowly.

Stiffly, Bruce sat in his chair, massaging his temples.

Why was there so much that he didn't know about his own son? And why, after two months, had he still not properly spoken to Damian?

Bruce knew he was driving his son further away, but he just didn't know how to make things better.
Just over two years ago, he sent his antisocial son off to the titans. Throughout that time, he had only seen Damian a few times; yet since bringing Jonathan to Kori and Dick, Clarke had visited him almost every week.

It was clear to The Batman that staying with the titans had positively impacted Damian, yet the boy (Bruce wondered if he could even call him that) was so much more closed off. Damian had always kept his affairs private, however He was just so... unresponsive. Well, to Bruce anyway.

After all that had happened with Talia and then the Court of Owls, Bruce should have taken the opportunity to grow closer to his son rather than push him away.

Another regret to add to the extensive list.

Sighing once more, Bruce sent out a message to the League in the Bat-computer. They were due to meet that day anyways, but it would do well to alert the League before hand.
***

"Damian?"

The boy in question turned to face the caller-not that he needed to, her voice was enough to tell who it was.

"Yes, Raven?"

She fell in to step besides him, not bothering to make any other comment. Placidly, the two walked side by side, through the corridors.

Focusing on the feeling of her feet hitting the floor, Raven attempted to push back the thoughts flying through her mind at a million miles per hour.