Chapter Thirty-Six

"Why did you reach out to us?", Damian frowned, leaning against the railing of one of the cave's staircases.

"Before that, who are you?", Batman demanded, intimidatingly close to Emrys.

Before he could provide a valid answer, Raven perked up from where she sat in the seating area of the Batcave -a small space in the corner of the cave, added five months prior at the behest of Alfred.

"He's Emrys Nweke, or rather; ex-elite soldier of the League of Assassins, Emrys Nweke and member of the demonic society within the League.", she regarded him with indifference, "Your grandmother was the demoness Pelagia, no?"

He nodded, rumbling in a baritone, "That is true, or so I've been told.", Emrys furrowed his brow, "You know her?"

Raven dipped her head, a faint smile falling to her lips at the memory, "She was two-hundred and four the last time I saw her. Pelagia was one of the 'good ones' who held an esteemed position during Trigon's reign, she never agreed with any of his barbaric rulings, but I don't know what's happened to her since...", the smile fell, "since the-for want of better term- coup.", Raven shook all traces of emotion from her face, "But that's going too far off topic. Now why don't you answer Damian's question?"

Emrys ran a hand down his weary face, "It's quite a long story,", he began, deep voice alike the soothing waves of an undisturbed body of water, "but I don't think you'll mind."

Tilting his head, he looked to Damian -not Batman- for confirmation to proceed, the League's training still impacting his attitude towards 'superiors'. Receiving an affirmative nod, Emrys set the explanation in motion.

"It starts after the disbanding of the League of Assassins. Myself and a few others", he turned to Damian, "-Kareem, Naila, Jaryl and Tyrone-"

Recognition shone on the Boy Wonder's face. They were all members of the League's demonic society, who had trained alongside Damian for most of his time in the assassin's guild. All, including Emrys, had been pronounced dead, though their bodies were never found.

"managed to escape when it became clear the League was falling. From there, we took off, travelling as far away as we could, to America, making the assumption that yourself,", Emrys gestured in Damian's direction, "and", he frowned, "Lady Talia, had perished.

A year later, we get word that the Heir to the Demon is alive and residing in Gotham City, and that the Lady Talia was also still living. Having no desire to report to Lady Talia-"

Emrys' explanation was intruded by Batman speaking up from his position in front of the Batcomputer, "What issue did you have with Talia? You're still calling her 'Lady'."

Toying with the ends of his cornrows, that fell far beyond his broad shoulders, Emrys attempted to piece together an acceptable answer without revealing too much.

Admitting defeat, as there was no other way to fully justify his supposed animosity, Emrys exhaled, "Talia Al Ghul...was a cruel woman.", he once again regarded Robin, eyes holding as much truth as his words, "She had no mercy or compassion in her heart."

Emrys' fists tightened, "I wasn't born in her to the League, I was taken when the assassins raided my father's home in a village nearby, so I knew mercy and compassion. I knew happiness. I had a childhood.", his coffee coloured lips formed a bitter smile, "And watched as she, and the League of Assassins, ripped yours away, Damian."

The boy listened to the words of Emrys, a pang of longing issuing from within his chest. Not the longing of a child for his mother, no. Talia was no mother. But the longing of a boy who had never been a boy, but had been thrust in to the shoes of a man when he came blinking in to the world. A longing for what he had missed.