Chapter Sixty-Six

The Hall of Justice was a great mount of metal hewn in to the ground where it met unrelenting gravel, an architectural monster of lustrous arcs and luminous letters declaring its purpose: the Justice League of America's headquarters (well, one of them). In the sub-layers of this formidable structure -the basement's basements- was a network of corridors and rooms with all manner of purpose- laboratories, garages, holding cells...

Twiddling his thumbs, lying down on a single bed, Aleil rested behind bars. The Light Councilman had told of his name, yesterday, during the interrogation. It wasn't uncommon for Light magical beings to choose names starting with the letter 'A', vowels in general were a favourite of theirs. An odd conception, truly, but the truth nonetheless. The wisdom lay within the lightness of the sound- anything to separate themselves from the Dark lot. Then again, that could simply be the propaganda of the Dark weighing that theory.

A day having passed, the Hall of Justice (from its most subterranean floor to its highest) was almost entirely deserted. Cyborg lingered about, drifting around the building as elegantly as a half-machine could, performing maintenance checks. That left one person besides the Councilman Aleil- Adyn.

He observed the pure individual reclining within his cell, white locks falling in to his pillow as golden eyes wandered about in boredom. The demon didn't share that feeling. Often, Adyn found himself entirely without company or occupation -he had done so this morning, leaving Raven (hastily throwing on her school blazer) to suggest he keep the 'damned prisoner company or SO HELP HER AZAR!'. Evidently, she didn't literally mean it, but being stuck in Wayne Manor with no friends (the Cat-lady, madwoman and Tim were in the Manor; Koriand'r had gone food shopping due to another strange need for unrelated foods to be mashed together) was not ideal, not when there was a threat of being left alone with his mind.

And so here Adyn found himself, staring at the seemingly angelic man who didn't say anything. Not simply Light, but angelic, for his features seemed to glow beyond what the white lights provided. Adyn held no love for the angel-kind. Manipulative and far too holy. But there was a darkness at this man's heart. A very beautifully made soul wherein light and dark splashed over a canvas and never made grey. It was so tempting to a creature of sin, those souls. Souls that were willing to tip in either direction, neither dark or light in majority. A little coaxing, a little whispering, a little fun, and they were decided.

And what would fun be for this man? Adyn scrutinised his relaxed form. Sloth? No. Gluttony? No. Greed? Perhaps. Pride? Possibly. Envy? Maybe. Wrath? Certainly could be. Lust...that would be a fun one...Adyn was good with lust, better as Wrath, but good with lust. The magician had already shown that he was susceptible to Raven's taunts, he would prove easy in Adyn's hands. Unless he didn't, in which case Adyn would have a challenge.

Demons love a challenge.

"What are you planning?", the demon hadn't anticipated the man -Aleil- speaking, that wonderfully crisp voice rolling through the air.

Adyn responded, "Why do you assume I plan something?"

Aleil stopped fidgeting with his fingers and sat up, eyes meeting Adyn's, "You analysed me, then smiled. It was a scheming smile."

"What do you think it means?"

"I don't know."

Adyn took a step closer to the coy Councilman, teeth sinking in to his bottom lip, "I'll leave you to figure that out. Enjoy solitude."

Willing his heart not to race with adrenaline, the demon all but ran out of the door, curls bouncing as he came to a stop halfway down the corridor. The bluish-grey of the walls shone but have no response to his despaired looks. There was no comfort in the unsprung pristine floors either. The building lacked character, and character was what his nerves needed.