Chapter Twenty-Nine

Eyes. Green eyes. Eyes exclusive to the Al-Ghuls of Hell.

The eyes of the girl he sought.

A pleading shriek rang out.

"NO!"

His heart broke as he raced forwards.
Faster. Faster. Faster.

But not fast enough. Never fast enough.

He couldn't save her, the girl with the Al-Ghul green eyes.

Still, he sprinted for all he was worth, straining to reach her.

"Stop! Don't come closer- they'll catch you! Run!", she cried.

If he could just find her- find where the voice came from!

"No- no! Raven go! Find Adyn and Tavor! Go! Leave me!", her shouts echoed throughout the land: in every alley of the city; under the bridges-providing a passage above fire, lava and water-; and in every castle turret.

He heard the sharp cry of his sister as she- no doubt- fought off the soldiers.

Raven's young voice tore his soul in half, "Hold on! Don't let go!"

He rounded a corner, finally making it to where she was.

More than a dozen soldiers lay dead behind Raven, who knelt at the edge of the cliff. And for dear life, she held on to her.

Then he felt a sharp pain and briefly remembered crying out.

Then Raven screamed and she fell off.

Then his sister escaped.

And all faded to black.

*
Adyn jolted in to reality, chest rising and lowering like the beating of an insect's wings. Shuddering, it took a few moments for him to register the cushioned mattress, silken sheets and plump pillows. A few moments to register that he was not in Hell, and he was not back six years.

It felt so... real.

The wounds from then were not yet scars- would they ever be? Gods above, it hurt like Hell.

Shoulders quaking(from both the cold and the memories), Adyn pushed the covers aside, a pale hand rubbing his eyes. Blinking slowly, he let his senses wander: a method useful in waking the mind.

There was no hope of sleep tonight, not after that.

He felt the aura of the ones on the higher floors of the Manor, then worked his way down to those below.

Finally, he sensed it. That repulsive, soulless entity. It was as repulsive as the plague and dark as any satanic ritual.

A Child of the Night.

Raven and Damian wouldn't allow one to live in their presence, so there must have been something in play- and Adyn intended to find out what.

***

Through the not-so-secret door stumbled Tim and Jason, closely followed by Adyn: the demon had sought their help in the Night Child issue so they filled him in, going with Adyn to where it was being held.

Raven regarded them coolly, knowing that Adyn would want to know firsthand the events leading to the Night Child's capture and Raven's suspicions.

All of which she gladly told him, with the input of Damian.

"So, what's happening now?", Adyn asked, surveying the room.

They stood in an area connected to the Batcave by a passageway. Dark walls, dark floors, dark mirror- just as Batman liked it. And through a dark door, was something alike a police interrogation room. And in that interrogation room sat the Night Child. And across from the Night Child sat Superman and Batman.