Chapter Seventy

This is madness...SEVENTY THO???? Shit...thanks you lot, I honestly had no idea how long this story would be but DAMN! I haven't even gotten out half of the ideas I have for this story!

-Now on to the real work!

***

"What the-!", Jon shouted, barely sliding out of the way of a beam of electric yellow. It grazed his arm, not penetrating his half-kryptonian flesh, but settling is abuzz with static tingles. The boy held his hand over the electrically humming patch on his arm, withdrawing it instantly as the tingles jumped to his palm with a snap. "Uh...D...Raven... What's goin' on?"

Ducking in to the gap between two buildings (not caring to avoid the splashes of damp by the walls) Damian beckoned the other two with a shout, breathing only when the three of them were together, panting behind the wall. There was little time to loose, they had but a few stressed moments before the Councilmen would be on them.

"Who-wha...I don't- are you gonna tell me what in the hay is goin' on?!"

Damian chided Jon, "Tt. Don't drop your 'g's Jonathan you don't live in Smallville."

Raven pinned him with a furiously calm stare, emphasising, "They're Councilmen and they're after us. They will kill you without blinking and will not be reasoned with- they would caution us if they were sent to do anything other than kill." She hadn't hesitated to flash in to her cloak and suit, glaring purple only seconds before. Raven looked to Damian, "They know who you are but the public don't-"

"I've mastered this, lend me a minute.", Damian nodded, slipping in to the dark recesses of the building-gap (dank and dim in spite of the teasing winter sun).

Understanding what Damian had left to do, Jonathan tore at his uniform, tugging open the shirt to reveal that hopeful signature symbol of the Supers.  Adrenaline battled with fear in the boy's mind as he conceded that there was a huge threat searching for them. No doubt someone would be over soon- maybe Batman or one of the JLA members- they always landed on time when the action called, but still, a whole squad of powerful magicians out to kill them (at least, trying to kill Damian and Raven and Jon by association, he couldn't think of why).

Soaring out from behind the wall, Superboy and Raven became instant targets for the cloaked magicians, dodging beams of all manner of energy. Red consuming his eyes with a deadly glow, Jonathan pinpointed a hooded man and let loose, slamming lasers in to the man and sending him thudding in to a glass window. The cries of fleeing civilians filling his ears and locating another target occupying his mind, Superboy missed Raven's warning, only saved from being charred by a purple barrier rising I front of him. The semi-sphere of magic lingered for a moment before fizzling away and Jonathan shouted his thanks to Raven, taking a shuddering breath.

There was no time to loose as an invisible force crushed the lamppost where Jon had just flown past, the electrics feebly sparking. Putting on a burst of speed, Superboy narrowed his sight on a 'councilman' busy firing blasts of blinding white light at Raven from their raised palms. Back turned, the cloaked man didn't see the half-Kryptonian coming, and his speed was far too fast for the man to register. Jonathan landed a resonating punch on the man, ending up with him landing through a car window and not standing again.

Instantly, the of the cloaked people delivered magical blows, all of which Jon missed by the skin of his teeth, bar one which sent him crashing on to the unforgiving concrete below, upending chunks of the road. Scrambling in to the air, Jonathan prepared himself to jump out of the way of magical assaults, halting with a frown as no attack came.

Three of the Council members had fallen around the demoness, through a window, under a car and lying on the concrete...respectively. Another was soon to fall as a Councilwoman attempted to use a broken telephone box as a weapon, gathering the shattered glass and projecting them towards the demoness like a hundred glinting wasps. Before she had the chance to strike, the woman fell with a gasp , having sustained a heavy blow to the back of her head.