Chapter Forty-Three

"Come! Sit down, sit down everyone!", Kori appealed, gesturing with her arms like receding waves.

After a few minutes, the mass of people had calmed themselves, dutifully finding seats on the many sofas that had been assembled in a circle facing one another. Like a camp bonfire, a mound of assorted boxes lay in the centre, each one shrouded in wrapping paper- some luminescent and patterned, others simple in their colours. The largest living room in the Manor had been re-assembled for the evening, to fit the purpose of their gathering before the Christmas dinner Alfred had single-handedly made.

Congregated around the small mound of presents was everyone from Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) to Adyn ad-Djinn to Cassandra Cain. Many not by choice. This Christmas, considering Bruce had decided to bring tens of heroes/vigilantes to Wayne Manor, the idea of them all opening their presents together seemed a decent 'bonding' experience: besides, there was no denying that the Justice League needed to form a tighter connection with the Teen Titans as a whole, as a matter of fact, the entire super-community would benefit from better unity.

Christmas seemed quite the convenience.

"How is this to work?", Kaldur'ahm's mellow voice called out, "Should they all be given out and then opened?"

There was a general consensus that Aqualad's suggestion was reasonable to go through with. Hence, five minutes later, the room became a beehive once more, buzzing with conversation as each person finally had their presents (though they remained unopened).

"Everyone has what is theirs?", Diana announced, sandwiched between Victor and Jason, "Then we ought to begin!"

*

Perched on the same sofa as her half-brother, Damian, Jaime and Bart (the last two's hands interlocked, sending one another quick looks every so often) Raven reached towards the handful of gifts at her feet. Across from them, Donna and Jonathan tore their presents open, seated together due to lack of space rather than by choice, with Clarke and Lois next to their son.

Amidst exclamations and laughter, a joyous voice called to Raven.

"Oh! Open that one first!", Koriand'r enthused, pointing at an...eccentrically wrapped box.

Starfire, clad in a dangerously festive jumper, leaned across her fiancé to speak to the demoness- having been sat of the sofa next to hers besides Dick. Flaming hair spilling over her shoulder and luminous eyes alight with anticipation, Kori observed as Raven lifted the package as though it were radioactive (prompting a snort from Damian at her caution). On the verge of wincing, she warily unwrapped the box, amethyst orbs widening as they beheld what Kori had given her.

Words failing her, Raven stammered, "Why it's...I-I...thank you..."

"You like it?", The Tamarinian tugged at a strangely of her long hair.

Discarding her mask of unaffectedness, Raven's lips lifted in content, easing Koriand'r's worries, "It's beautiful."

Within the now-open box lay a masterpiece of silver created in the image of a vine, intended to circle a person's wrist. Metallic leaves adorned the winding main vine, growing besides minuscule wisterias so lifelike one could almost smell their perfume spreading through the air.

Tenderly removing the plant-inspired bracelet from its case, Raven placed it in her palm, marvelling at its delicacy. Sitting where the jewellery once had, was a note.

**

From Dick and Kori
-Merry Christmas ;)

**