Chapter Thirty-Nine

After Zatanna and Constantine had infused all five of the runes, activating the invisible force field, they made a prompt exit, not feeling the need to explain themselves.

Watching their backs disappear from view, through one of Constantine's signature amber-rimmed portals, Adyn pulled his cherry-red jacket (another one that Raven had made him buy) closer around him, holding back a shiver.

In a bid to distract himself from the chilling air, as the three demons walked to the Hall of Justice's entrance, Adyn reflected on his own magical aptitude. Most demons and part demons held some form of connection to the magical forces, however those of royal or 'noble' lineage tended to be much more powerful, and full demons were usually stronger than part-demons. However, Adyn was one of the exceptions- much to the chagrin of his instructors- holding no more control over the magical forces than any average demon.

Regardless, that still meant he was able to memorise runes and perform standard teleportation and elemental spells- albeit with a little strain. The words of Trigon and his trainers still, despite that, would ring through his ears, proclaiming him a disgrace to the name of Wrath and no more deserving of the title than any common snake.

That stung. It did. But what stung worse, would be punishment to follow for Adyn's incompetence.

The entrance door slamming threw his train of thought off the rails, jolting Adyn in to reality in time to realise that they were now faced with the Justice League enquiring what the heck that was.

Well...runes are easier to be precise with if you have the martial routine that accompanies it basically imprinted in to your muscles and mind.

Not too difficult a concept, in actuality.

***

"Ooh, Raven, your hair looks gorgeous with the dress!", Stephanie practically squealed, assisting Kori in putting a pair of teardrop earrings in.

Equal parts embarrassed and loving the praise, Raven twirled a lock of her hair around her finger: the usually straight-ish, ear length hair had been styled in simple waves, giving the impression of a purple waterfall- just a hell of a lot shorter- highly complimenting the high neckline of her dress.

"Spin, let's see it.", Babs, who'd joined them to get ready for the Christmas Eve party, ordered, fire-engine red lips turning to a satisfied smile as the demoness complied.

Kori, Raven, Steph, Cass, Donna and Baba all packed in to Stephanie's room, it was in a near disarray, with makeup all over the vanity and a pile of used towels thrown in the corner- from when they'd all ran off to separate rooms for quick showers. Currently, Steph and Koriand'r were helping one another with accessories; Barbara was previewing everyone's outfits, making sure that they're shoes, hair and makeup all fit the dresses they wore; and Raven and Cassandra worked on Donna's hair (their was too much of it to put in to an intricate plait, so they had decided a half-up half-down look would be acceptable).

"Are you sure about these shoes?", Donna frowned as Cassandra tugged on a strand of her hair, addressing the question to Babs, who'd advised her to wear the shorter heeled platforms.

Lathering on another layer of lipstick, the Oracle nodded, "Definitely. You may have learned everything there is to know about moderne culture and fashion, but you haven't nearly enough experience wearing heels."

The Amazonian bit her lip (only to receive a disapproving comment from Cass, though by no means mean, about not ruining her makeup) true, Donna had done everything in her power to learn as much as she could about modern western culture when she first came to the Titans, and hadn't all that much experience, but what about Raven?