Chapter Seventy-Three

"No."

That word halted the stern woman, commanding the attention of the crowd of beings (human and non) in the meeting room. It echoed the sentiments of every occupant of the room bar three- Amanda Waller and her two silent commanders.

Batman continued, "That would be genocide.", he voice teetered on the edge of giving away his anger- Ms Waller would do well to regulate herself, otherwise she would be facing Batman's rage.

Besides Bruce in her allocated seat, Wonderwoman furthered his line of thought, not attempting to contain her passion as she threw her seat back and stood tall, "The millions of non-humans across this world have chosen Earth as their home, you make threats that you do not gouge the danger of. I have too often seen the generals of mankind seek to kill their greatest defenders and think bombs to be their greatest defence!", her fists slammed on the table, leaving two dents in their wake. "By the gods see reason!"

It was at this moment that (in her self-righteous, callous mind) Amanda Waller realised just how utterly alone she was in that room. Nearly all the key Justice League figures sat around the table with her, joining them also were three creatures more than quadruple her age with great power. Around the room, leaning against walls and perched on tables were the Titans -Waller almost raised an eyebrow at the large bump on the Tamarinian, it hadn't been her knowledge that she was pregnant- and various assorted heroes including Green Arrow and Young Justice members. In a room of metahumans, aliens and magicians, Amanda sought to exterminate an entire class of non-humans. It was clear she wouldn't win that battle.

Something had to be agreed to though. Amanda could come back with nothing- this was her last chance. She didn't have a death wish (not with her filthy ledger and mountain of sin) so she needed to get something- anything- out of this. No being, the heroes or magical robed ones, would agree to anything in the security brought by this environment- which was entirely hostile towards Amanda- so they should be brought out of there. A treaty could be signed- a list of agreements between the magical and the mundane- and a meeting could be arranged outside the Justice League's property. Would the three in red not then be alone and at threat?

"When the leaders of this planet see a threat to its people, that threat will be dealt with by any means necessary.", Amanda adjusted the collar of her shirt. "But it's clear that no one present in willing to relent or accept any form of legal authority in the safety of this,", she spared the meeting room a grimacing eye, "building.", she turned her gaze to the three Ringmasters, "Today Earth has been made more insignificant by the revelation of these...magical beings standing in their hundreds against the Justice League- first aliens and now this. If you won't acce-"

Amanda was cut off mid-word by a whirlpool of amber and the sound of shoes on the meeting room floor. Blond hair as rugged as ever, trench coat framing his lean figure, the 15th fag of the day between his teeth as he lit it, John Constantine walked in. Oblivious he continued walking a few steps, speaking through the cigarette in his mouth with a practised air, "Sorry I'm late, there was a thing with some trolls way over in-", John looked up, faced with a room of over twenty heroes and others gawping at him- John seemed to have quite the knack for timing.

His eyes fell of the severe woman sitting at the table, glaring daggers at him. That was the one who put together all those Suicide Squads a while back- nasty piece of work, she was, in his esteem. Getting her on your good side was apparently harder than strangling a fully grown troll to death: no hard feat for one such as Constantine (surely?), he'd just spend a rather enjoyable time with a few in the marshlands...What was this woman in comparison to one of them?

***

It had been finalised.

The Council Ringmasters were to meet with government officials (including the President herself) the following day to settle terms of a peace treaty, with Wonderwoman and Cyborg offering themselves as mediators. Amanda Waller had click-clacked out of the Hall of Justice somewhat satisfied that she wouldn't be removed from her position or assassinated in the middle of the night (by government forces at least).