Chapter Thirty-Three

Shifting away to avoid a flurry of kicks from his sparring partner, Damian's mind was entirely occupied with noting Adyn's technique. Ducking a head-section spin-hook kick, a self-assured smirk found a way to his lips, as it usually did.

Remaining low, Damian's leg moved in an arch where Adyn stood, a minor distraction. Continuing his impulsive martial-arts combination, the ex-assassin let him jump to avoid the drop-kick, flipping off of the floor in the last second to send a turning-kick to Adyn's chest -the intention being to wind him.

Unsuspecting, the demon took the full force of the hit, falling to the floor for a mere second before jumping back in to a fighting stance. Without pause, Damian's fists came barraging in his direction. With uncanny strength and agility, the punches found many a target. For one who excelled in defence, Adyn was struggling to block against the onslaught, accepting that he would be left with a few bruises afterwards.

Grabbing Damian's forearm in the middle of a mid-section punch, Adyn spun so that he was back-to-back with the combatant. Still holding his forearm, the demon jabbed his elbow in to Damian's side, eliciting a sharp exhale.

If ten years in the League of Assassins taught him something, it was to act like there was so pain and carry on: that, and how to kill mercilessly without remorse. Following that guideline, Damian used the forearm Adyn held as an anchor, bending his knees to flip the demon over him, removing the steel-like grip Adyn had on his arm.

On the floor, Damian's opponent didn't give himself the time to gasp, already rolling away to avoid an attack. Bounding off the simulation room floor, Adyn left Damian no opportunity to strike again, kicking the boy in the side of his face before he could block.

Defensive, Damian halted one of Adyn's punches, pushing the arm before it could reach its target, closing the distance between them to elbow-strike Adyn in the face. Granted, it left Damian's right side unprotected for a split second, but the elbow made contact: the strength behind it rendering Adyn incapable of responding with a hit of his own.

Hissing in pain, Adyn leaped backwards, landing in a crouch. One hand steadying himself, the other came up to his face. Crinkling his nose, Adyn frowned. There was something metallic, something salty, trailing down his nose. Something that sparked a carnal reaction in him.

Blood.

Jaws clenched and hand balled, Adyn stayed in a crouch, eyes shut. Vaguely, his ears brushed over the movement of feet on the ground, then the flying of a body through the air and landing in front of him: as though his ears were an enhanced camera capturing, with pristine accuracy, every clear millisecond of a hummingbird flapping it's wings.

SMACK.

Adyn opened his eyes.

Caught in his hand was Damian's fist, a hairs breadth away from smashing in to his face. Adyn's pale, unearthly pink complexion clashing against Damian's olive hues, the two stared at each other, each in a battle of wills and power.

Half-standing, Adyn tightened his grip on Damian's hand, refusing to back down. Yet, the longer he looked in to Damian's eyes, the longer his resolve broke. They were too much like her's.

Faltering, he opened the chance for Damian to push him away- which the ex-assassin would have done, had the door not burst open at that moment.

"Damian! Wait, Adyn too?", Jaime called out, successfully ending their sparring session.

Begrudgingly, Adyn and Damian stood up to their full heights, both having wished to see the full turn out of their match. Regardless, there was no denying the respect in their eyes as Damian and Adyn shook hands.