Chapter Ninety-Nine

Before they knew it, school had finished and summer had captivated the lives of all those in the Tower and living at the Manor. And those who lingered between both. On one of the days that Damian and Raven were in the Titans Tower, the Teen Titans were greeted by a surprise visitor.

Neither Jaime, nor Jonathon, Raven or Damian, Donna or Garfield was doing much at all of use. The lazy summer sun was shining in from the windows as they lounged on the sofas. Jaime, Garfield and Donna were playing some sort of video game Damian would deem useless (but still play and succeed if challenged) while Jonathan ate a bowl of soup religiously- Damian was a great cook, and Jonathan would likely ask for a second bowl. The chef and Raven both sipped at mugs of tea, in an easy conversation about what to get Mar'i for her first birthday: it was miles away, but one could never be too prepared- just ask Batman.

Garfield was still spending a lot of time out of the Tower, but he was getting used to his family again: the Titans. He'd laughed when he'd heard of the new couple in town and swore to everyone that he saw it coming from a mile away. A few years ago, he might have had some sort of feelings for Raven, but those were long gone if they ever existed. Not after Terra. He'd moved on from that stage of his life, and safe to say, he'd grown out of his childish ways...a little...a smidgen...a tiiiiny little bit...- okay, he was never going to stop being a goofy idiot, but that was just Gar. What can you do?

The shape-shifter had been the first to hear the car pulling in to the Tower  site. He'd gotten up and gone to the window-wall, and announced to the others, "Hey! Dudes!- it's Kori and Dick!" He frowned, "No Mari though- huh- must have got a babysitter."

Two minutes later, Kori walked through the doors with a great wide beam on her face, "We are all going together to the beach!"

There would be no persuading Kori otherwise. The Tamaranian mother grinned through the entire process of making sure everyone was ready. Raven went as far as to prepare a little picnic for them, storing it in her pocket realm: fruit, sandwiches, vegetable soup and tea (in separate flasks), some biscuits -made the night before by Damian and Jonathan, Damian was coaching him- and a bottle of orange juice. Of course, the demoness made sure to bring along sunscreen, her floppy black summer hat, and sunglasses.

In her possession, Raven had a grand total of two bathing suits: one a garishly pink two-piece with electric blue stripes (bought by Kori as a gift and kept purely for sentiment); the other, one piece, black, with a deep V-neckline and a triangle cut out just below. The black swimsuit was obviously the choice. Honestly, a few years back, the concept of wearing something like that didn't seem all that appealing, but that black number was an item she would wear with confidence knowing that it looked good on her. That's a confidence Raven couldn't say she'd had before.

Slipping a lilac, flowing summer dress over the swimsuit, Raven left her room and joined the others. They wouldn't be heading far, just a few minutes walk down to the nicest section of beach near the Tower. In the late afternoon, the sun glinted off of each lapping waves just right- slivers of pure sun and the sea was alive with radiance. The white horses would gallop towards the sandy shores, shrinking until tiny foals crashed in to sea spray on the golden bed. Picturesque didn't do it justice.

Raven lay down her towel, set her deck chair on it, put a pillow down for comfort, and sat. Her sunglasses were on, the floppy hat had made an appearance, and she took a book out- 'Northern Lights', Phillip Pullman, from the 'His Dark Materials' series. As soon as she turned to her marked page, Raven was unjustly dragged out of her zone of comfort by an ecstatic Amazon teen.

Donna shouted, "Come on Raven! It's lovely!  Spend time with us!"

Raven's nostrils flared, "I am with you...on my own..."

"No no- that won't do.", Damian entered the situation, bare chested in his swimming trunks and looking a bit too beautiful for Raven not to be distracted. But that look in his eyes was an evil...evil look.

Raven was mildly frightened.

His eyes glinted with just enough danger to make her gulp.

"...Damian...?", she said, voice shaking.

Raven was ready to run.

He twitched.

She dashed. Straight in to the water.

Damian pounced. He tackled her in to the water. Raven shoved him off and splashed water in his face. Her dress utterly soaked, Raven pulled it off and chucked the wet clothes in to the beach. Her game face was on, glowing hands at the ready, Raven attacked first, waving her hand and sending a jet-stream straight in to Damian's face. He jumped quickly out of the way and skid his feet on the small lapping waves, hitting her full force.

As Raven was preparing another assault, she was hit by an unexpected waterfall of cold on her back. Off guard, she shrieked and turned around, finding a giggling Jonathan bent over laughing. A pool of water crashed down on the Superboy, ending his laughter, Raven had gotten her revenge. Jaime brought himself in to the fight, splashing Damian. Donna, sneaking up slowly, dumped a bucket of water in the Latino. In return, Gar splashed her.

Having finished setting up their umbrellas and deckchairs, Kori and Dick entered the combat zone, wading deeper in to the water. Raven, Jaime and Donna on one side; Damian, Gar and Kori on the other; Dick playing the commentator like it was a football match.

It was official, this was no mere battle, it was WAR.

***

Eventually the sun had to bade the Titans farewell and welcomed the multicoloured tone of the sky slowly darkening from pale pink to darker purple. Dusty, dusky purple. A few silver dots winked in the darkest recesses of the sky with their mother moon gracing the sky with its ever brightening glow.

Raven and Damian sat besides in another, on the shore, the receding sunlight casting itself on their faces and mingling with their hair. The demoness leant her head on Damian's shoulder. In the distance, they could hear the murmur of voices- the Titans that they'd decided to get away from for a while.

Raven sighed, "It's been a strange year, hasn't it?"

"Yeah,", Damian leaned his head on hers, "you can say that again."

"It's strange to think, there was a time when we weren't together.", Raven laughed, "I can hardly imagine it now."

"I love you, Raven, you know that,", Damian said,", don't you."

She sighed one again, in content, "I know. I love you too- would you believe it? Even if you're a narcissistic asshole with a superiority complex the size of-"

"Yeah-yeah, i get it-", Damian rolled his eyes. "Still, I can't believe how long it's been either. Even Donna and Jonathan... I never thought I'd see the day..."

"I know! It's all happened so fast. It's seems like only yesterday we were moving to the Manor.", she laughed. "Do you remember when they all saw you again? And the first thing Jason said to you was-"

"'What the hell you little piece of shit!'", Damian imitated his brother's voice perfectly, chuckling along. "Oh gods, it had been so long since I'd seen them- and father too."

Raven brought a solemn tone to their conversation, "I'm happy you're in such a good place with him now."

"Things will never be perfect between us, but now, after all that's happened- Hell, Belladonna, school, us- I can say more than ever, I'm proud to call him my dad."

Raven kissed his check, "Pride never heard a truer statement."

***

A.N:

The last chapter is upon us. A few days away. Then this story is finished. Oh God...it's too soon.

I'm not saying my dad goodbyes now. Don't say goodbye now either. Let's wait for the last chapter, shall we? I'll say my farewells there...and then start my next book the following week😂

You won't miss me!

-Bats :3