Chapter Eighty-Six

Rain seeped in to Constantine's coat, turning it a darker brown and making his neck itch. It stuck his blond locks of his forehead and blurred his vision. He sucked on a cigarette held between two fingers and exhaled a cloud of grey and an ancient word, "Clear my sight.", was its rough meaning. But no words of modern tongues could ever capture the true power behind the magical languages of old.

The path ahead of him instantly became clear, his eyes seeing through the drizzling rain. What was he to expect at this time of year in Gotham? This many Darks in one city, attracted to its lulling aura of sin, was bound to damage the atmosphere.

He spoke around the cigarette in his mouth, "Did you hear about those bellend shifters up at The Dragon. Caused quite the ruckus.", Constantine turned around, staring in to an alley submerged in darkness. "Ah come on Zatanna, I know your there. The shadows don't really suit you love."

Coat tails, top hat and all, Zatanna click-clacked out of the dark, arms folded. "Constantine."

"The bloody hell are you following me for?", he gestured with his cigarette, the other hand dug in to his pocket.

She stayed where she was, two metres away and glowered at him, "I need to speak to you."

"Aaaand you stalked me rather than calling becaaaaaause...?"

Zatanna stared at him pointedly, not offering up an answer.

"Oh, yeah, right. You're going for the mysterious, sexy thing nowadays.", he slapped himself up the head and rolled his eyes. "I should've realised!"

Constantine's sarcasm was not appreciated.

Hands on hips and lips pursed, Zatanna snapped, "I was walking this way and happened to find you through the alley, don't think you're sooo special John. And for the record, "she smirked, "I've always gone for the mysterious, sexy look. I would say 'in case you haven't noticed', but you're trying a little too hard not to notice."

Once that kind of teasing would have worked, but not anymore...ah fuck, who was he kidding? Those fishnets, straining shirt and daring eyes would still leave his throat dry no matter what. "So, what is it then?"

"There have been more and more attacks from Night Children on humans, the Council isn't handling anything well what with the loss of a Ringmaster and weeding out her supporters. And it isn't just the shifters that are riled up, wights and the sidhe and even the most peaceful sprites are riled." She sighed, "I mean, we had to deal with those dragonettes last week in Canada- and the Irian Greens don't even leave their realm during the worst conflicts!"

"You can feel something coming then?", Constantine asked, exhaling smoke.

She nodded.

"Could just be the Blood Moon's coming up, heck, even my blood's curling at the thought.", he shrugged "Maybe they're just feeling it too?"

Zatanna shook her head, rain-soaked black sheets of hair clinging to her shoulders and cheeks, "It's more John, I know it is."

That raised some alarm. One of Zatanna's 'feelings'. If she was sensing something off in the magical world, something was damn well off. The rain began to let off as the two of them walked together through Gotham's lowly suburbs, shadows flickering behind shutters askew and shattered glass windows. Wayne Enterprise's investment in the city's more deprived areas could only go so far.

A great rumbling, shrieking roar broke their serious conversation and the two of them spun around, eyes wide. Splashing through the wet street, growls growing louder and louder, a creature the size of a small car bounded towards them.